Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Alan and Dennis Go To White Castle

I don't mind product placement in movies and television. It's kind of comforting to see my favorite product in a movie. To know that Brad Pitt and I drink the same beer somehow brings him closer to me, and not in a dangerous stalker kind of way. One product that I always look for in old movies, and television shows are Studebaker automobiles. I can always remember Mr. Ed, the talking horse, selling Studebakers on TV when I was a kid. Studebaker isn't in business any more, but you still see them pop up in movies once in a while, mostly because of their peculiar looks.

I just got done watching a program that I had recorded from Sunday night called Undercover Boss. It featured one of the owners of White Castle working undercover at various locations. I really didn't pay that much attention to the tear jerking stories in the show, because all through the program all I could think about was, 'I need a bag of sliders!'. This is genius product placement. An entire one hour show with constant close-ups of those greasy little burgers. At one point in the program they showed a White Castle that I used to go to in Chicago. That was when my eyes glazed over, and I started drooling uncontrollably. Yes I know they are disgusting, and bad for you, but I love them. Unfortunately the closest White Castle to my house is 860 miles away, so I will have to settle for the frozen ones that they sell here in the super market. But all is not lost. We have a trip to Chicago planned for this month, and I’m sure at some point I can convince Dennis to make a slider run with me. Later I’ll be doing the slider runs in Dennis’ bathroom, but that‘s another story.

19 comments:

  1. I just happened to go to WC on Monday and got a sack of sliders. There's a WC just a little way from my place. They are really good...once in a while. Of course I need my own WC later that evening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure I know the White Castle of which Dennis is speaking... :)

    And Alan, what about Krystal? I thought that was the South's White Castle?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Steven, you're even closer to it than I am.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was craving Krystal burgers the whole time that show was on. The show was awful, btw, don't you think?

    I have a recipe for making these burgers that is pretty damn close. Email me if Mark is interested.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steven, Krystal Burgers are dryer than WC. I only get those once in a great while because when I do eat them I realize how much I miss the sliders.

    Syd, yes I hated that show. It was obvious that some people had been tipped off that it was happening, and that board meeting was so scripted and badly acted. Undercover Boss tries to make you shed a tear over how magnanimous the boss can be. I still think the guy from White Castle is probably a dick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. anonymous imposterMarch 3, 2010 at 4:02 PM

    It's Slyders nor Sliders folks.

    White Castle is known for small square burgers, sometimes referred to, and today trademarked as "Slyders."[2]

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Castle_(restaurant)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's Slyders not Sliders folks.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Castle_(restaurant)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG!!! I can't stand those awful looking weird greasy burgers....I think I had them once when I was very young and the thought of them makes me gag. Watching how they are made on that show was the last straw....uurrrrp!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's true that White Castle did trademark the term slyders back in the forties. Must be an old fart that knew that. Everyone else seems to call those small burgers sliders now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Peggy, what? You have apparently never been drunk enough. Very good hangover remedy also.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do those Sliders still have the four holes in the middle?

    ReplyDelete
  12. anonymous imposterMarch 4, 2010 at 9:06 AM

    Gee, Alan is preparing us with anticipation of his Chicago visit to White Castle and his eventual detailed description of his Slider runs to Dennis's bathroom. Oh joy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, there are still holes in the burger. And no, I'm not looking forward to the slider runs to my bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We will of course want to know about the colour and texture along with resembling fragrances.

    ReplyDelete
  15. heheheh hahah hihihi

    ReplyDelete
  16. Garet! you disgust somebody. Nobody here, but somebody, somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was talking about the burgers. What were you talking about?

    ReplyDelete