Monday, March 29, 2010

Memories

Twenty two years ago I was in the middle of twelve weeks of chemotherapy. It seems as though my life has been divided into two halves, B.C. and A.C.  Before chemo, it seems that I had a very good memory, and despite my years of pot smoking, I could remember what I did when I was five years old, and what I did five days ago. After chemo, I haven't had quite as good a record of remembering things. I have learned to write stuff down, and my computer has been great at reminding me of shit, just as long as I remember to enter it into my calendar.

Last Wednesday I was at the Abandoned Pet Rescue shelter, and they asked me if I would like to take a dog to the neighborhood dog walking party on Saturday morning. "Sure!", I replied. Coffee, donuts, and the company of a bunch of dogs, what's not to like? Later in the day, back at the house, the tree cutters came by for the annual  trimming of the trees. When they were all done, the old guy who owns the tree company came over to me and told me that if I paid in cash, he'd give me a fifty dollar discount. "Sure!", I replied. As long as he could wait until I went to the bank the next day, I could do that.

Saturday morning, I'm laying in bed, half awake, when the dog starts barking wildly. Someone is at the door. It's the tree guy, "You got the money?" How embarrassing. I never forget to pay my bills. On more than one occasion I have had to knock on a tenant's door, five days past when the rent was due, and ask for my money the whole time thinking 'What an asshole'. Is this what Mr. Manley Tree Company was thinking of me right now? What was worse is that I had totally forgot to go to the bank, so I didn't even have the cash to give him. "I'm sorry, I'll have it by this afternoon."

Three hours later, after Mark and I had made a run to the bank, and done some shopping at Lowes for my new bathroom, I am riding along in the car. Out the car window I see somebody walking a happy, tail wagging, big, black Lab. "Shit!", I shout out, remembering much too late, and startling Mark. Over at Abandoned Pet Rescue, a poor orphan dog has had his bath, and is all dressed up in his cute little bandanna, waiting for some schmuck to take him to the dog walking party. But the schmuck never showed up. Now I really feel bad.

8 comments:

  1. What a beautiful dog!!! Maybe Chandler needs a brother! Oh and the answer is... sticky notes EVERYWHERE!! And I don't even have the excuse of chemo, just aging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to say... I can't blame chemo, it MUST be genetic! I'd better start the post-it note regime now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. no need for guilt or excuses. you fucked up ,oh well , no body died.The world did not end.The tree guy got his money. Dogs are those kind of animals that give unconditional love. I'm sure he'll be happy to see you another day. After all you didn't bring him out in public in the silly bandana getup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could it be you were out Friday night? Besides, you're OLD.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I am old, and I was out Friday night, but I used to go out much more often and had no problem. I can't say I used to be older though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't beat yourself up too much Alan. We all forget things now and then. The doggie will be just as happy to see you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now you have to adopt the dog as you rained on his parade.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...besides, it looks like Molly.

    ReplyDelete