Wednesday, October 12, 2011

I Can't Sleep Doc

I like documentaries. Ever since my eyes started failing me I read less and less, so documentaries are the easy way to learn. The only problem is that I tend to fall asleep at some point. Yesterday morning I was watching a documentary about Steve Bartman, and the Chicago Cubs. Bartman is the poor sap that the Cubs fans blamed for the playoff meltdown in 2003. But that's not the point, the point is I fell asleep. About one hour into the movie, I fell asleep waking up only to see the credits rolling by while drool rolled down my chin. I have also fallen asleep to Michael Moore movies on many occasions, but the worst was that Al Gore documentary called An Inconvenient Truth. I was unconscious thirty seconds into it as Al's twangy, monotonous narration droned on, and on.

My favorite documentary director is of course Ken Burns. I record his docs, and watch them in thirty minute increments so as not to miss something by falling asleep. Just last night I finished watching his newest production called Prohibition. Piggybacking that on top of the HBO show, Boardwalk Empire, made it doubly interesting. The only problem was not that I was falling asleep, but that it made me want to drink. Seeing all that booze being smashed up, and all that beer flowing in the streets made me want to suck down a vodka cocktail. So I did. In fact during each segment of the movie I watched, I knocked down two or three cocktails. I didn't fall asleep this time, and I think I saw the whole thing. As for having a buzz while watching it, well, it was kind of like that gimmick they used to have in the movie theaters back in the 1970's called Sensurround.

5 comments:

  1. Documentaries in the AM. What are you, retired?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it OK to consider John Waters films documentaries? If so, I love documentaries also--he uses "smell-o-vision".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Polyester. I saw that back when it first came out. It was amazing to see everyone scratching away, and sniffing when the kid was smelling shoes. I was no chicken, I dutifully scratched and smelled each scene that required it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not Me. I would randomly scratch and sniff just to be creative.

    ReplyDelete