Monday, January 9, 2012

Shit Happens

I am quite used to having my arm yanked out of the socket by ninety pounds of squirrel chasing hound. After three and a half years with Chandler, his penchant for taking off after things is not what surprises me. It's the suddenness of it all that scares the hell out of me. Those sneaky, silent bicycles are the worst. Often they are upon us before I can grab Chandler and keep him calm. I'm sure my neighbors find it humorous to see me spinning around like a top as my dog speeds off in the opposite direction, until he hits the end of the leash. What is most interesting is that Chandler doesn't only chase that which is at his own eye level, he looks up. Low flying airplanes, vultures gliding on thermals just above the road, and squirrels skittering along utility wires get his attention, causing him to jump up in the air and bark madly.

Friday nights, I usually go out for a few cocktails and then return home before Mark so that I can walk the dogs. This past Friday as I stumbled around the block with Chandler in tow, we came to a point in the street where a utility wire crosses the road. Chandler came to an abrupt halt under that wire, and looked straight up. There were no airplanes flying low overhead, which is what he usually sees at night, so I aimed my flashlight up. There on the wire was a sleeping pigeon. A stupid, sleeping pigeon that became startled when Chandler began barking at it. In fact you might say Chandler scared the shit out of it. It was like slow motion, the stream of bird shit shooting from the birds ass, slowly growing in size as it approached me. I'd like to say I jumped out of the way, and that my lightning reflexes saved me from a pigeon shit shower. But no, I have the reflexes of a snail.

10 comments:

  1. I wonder if pigeons laugh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The British have a phrase "I feel as though I've been shat upon from a great height" (whenever they feel that they've been disrespected). Well... you really HAVE been shat upon from a great height.
    Sorry about that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever thought that Chandler was talking to the pigeon? Ask yourself why Chandler would tell the pigeon to shit on you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. you have to strap a camera to that dog. He can film all this from his point of view.He knew enough to get out of the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I am quite used to having my arm yanked out of the socket by ninety pounds of squirrel chasing hound." LOL - that is just a fantastic openning line! How long did you come up with that - or do these gems just come naturally to you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got to stop reading these at work - I was laughing so hard I was crying! You sure do have a way with words Mr. Alan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No I mean on you? Your face, shoulder, foot?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alan, do you remember when we were kids and we were at the zoo...a bird "shat" upon the head of Moms baby in the stroller. (I think it was Paul) Boy was Mom mad! She was cursing out the bird who dared to do such a thing to her baby as she frantically wiped down his little head!

    ReplyDelete