Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Air Heads


A day late, but we’re on our way home. Made it to Tennessee today, barely. Remember how our PT Cruiser lost its a/c on the way up to Chicago? Remember how we took it to Napelton Chrysler and they charged us $650 to fix it? Remember how five minutes after we left their lot with our ‘fixed’ car it failed again? Well after we got the thing re-repaired at Bettenhausen Chrysler we took off for Florida. Around 35th and the Dan Ryan Expressway it failed again. We drove all the way out to Orland Park, to Bettenhausen’s, and this time they took the dashboard apart. 

“Well sir, it seems that the little door that flips back and forth, directing the air flow, is stuck.”

Well goddamned sonofabitch! That is exactly what I told Napleton Chrysler was wrong with the goddamned, mother scratching thing three weeks ago. That is exactly what I asked them to check before I spent $875 for parts and labor, only to get a car returned that would only blow hot air in Chicago’s hundred degree heat. 

“Fine,” I told them “Staple it, glue it, clamp it, wedge the damn thing in the proper position. Whatever it takes, just make the a/c work.”

“But sir, if we do that the heater won’t work.”

We were standing behind the car, directly in front of the license plate that said ‘Florida’ on it.
 
“I don’t care! I never use the goddamned heater.”

So we now have a/c. It’s blowing just fine, but I gave Mark strict instructions.
“Do not turn it off, and do not touch any of the a/c controls until we reach Fort Lauderdale.”

6 comments:

  1. Loyal Alan Blog ReaderAugust 1, 2012 at 7:05 AM

    Oh my Alan you are never going to want to come back to Chicago ever! I feel so bad you had such a bad trip but it was great to see you, Mark, Chandler and Sasha. Next time fly so you guys can enjoy yourself. I'll be glad to here you are back home this week! Be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loyal Alan Blog ReaderAugust 1, 2012 at 7:07 AM

    Correction: I'll be glad to HEAR you are back home this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LABR, These posts would be much funnier if I didn't have spell check.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I figured you would have been driving home in a new Ford from a place in Manteno! You should plan your trip in the fall, the weathers is so much better, sometimes, but maybe not this year or next year or ever again. Safe trip home, was so nice to see you. Hope Mark is feeling better. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So it was just a stuck hinged vent. Maybe that should have been checked first.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Except Manteno Ford didn't show me a new car. Since Mark is the actual buyer, he gets to choose, and he didn't like the used Ford.

    ReplyDelete