Monday, August 20, 2012

Boo!

Huge puffy lips, even puffier huge tits sitting almost up on their shoulders. This must be The Real Housewives of Orange County. At first when Mark started watching that crap I ignored it, but then came The Real Housewives of New York, Atlanta, New Jersey, Washington D.C., and Beverly Hills. Suddenly the television in the bedroom was awash with botoxed, silicone implanted, collagen pumped 'housewives'. Never mind that not one of them would know how to prepare a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, or in which room of the house the cleaning supplies are kept. They are housewives because that's all they do, sit around the house all day sniping at each other while spending the husband's money. So the other day I was pleasantly surprised to hear Mark mention that he was losing interest in those shows.
"They have too many. Besides, they just keep doing the same thing every week, bitch, primp, and spend."
Hmmm, I thought, sounds familiar. Anyway, I figured that maybe we could start watching some better television from the comfort of our bed now. I was wrong.
Mama
Mark has discovered something new to obsess over. It's called 'Here Comes Honey Boo Boo', a show about a terribly obnoxious seven year old former beauty queen, and her fetal alcohol syndrome siblings. This family of mud loving rednecks is run by the morbidly obese mother, aptly called Mama, and a suspect looking man named Sugar Bear. I watched only five minutes of this horror show before thinking, how could television get any worse? Five minutes was enough to prove that the bar could be lowered even further, for during the first ad break the humorously named TLC, which stands for The "Learning" Channel, was promoting another new program. This one featuring a two headed girl. Actually it is conjoined twins who share the same body. Two heads, two brains, one body. My problem isn't with them/her. My problem is with the fact that television has become the equivalent of the freak shows that used to line the carnival midway when I was a kid. At least when I was a kid, my dad could keep me away from the freak shows no matter how much I wanted to see them. Mark makes it too easy.

3 comments:

  1. I agree totally. But I'm such a hypocrite. It's been a slow summer over here in England and all the good shows have gone and so I am left with a choice between gardening programs, country home restoration programs, or ... Ice Loves Coco. And I've been watching Ice Loves Coco.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched that same episode. I love that thy are speaking English, but have to have subtitles.My girlfriend freaked out when the two headed girl commercial came on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please, please, please can I come watch tv with you and Mark?

    ReplyDelete