Thursday, September 13, 2012

A Simple Breakfast

Early Tuesday morning and it's time to make breakfast. This morning I will make bacon, eggs, and homemade hash brown potatoes. Yes, I actually do cook once in awhile, but only breakfast. Mark won't let me do dinner, he hates to see food wasted. So I am quickly peeling some potatoes, and stuffing the peels down the garbage disposal in the sink. After chopping the potatoes, along with some onions and sweet peppers, I dump it all into a large skillet. I cook the eggs, and bacon, and when it is all done I call out to Mark, "Your breakfast is ready!" Of course both dogs stampede into the dining room to claim their positions next to Mark's chair. Once again, another successful breakfast by Alan.

Thirty minutes later, and I am cleaning up my mess. I wash off each dish before stuffing it into the dishwasher, then when all is ready I turn the thing on. Ten minutes later I notice that the sink is full of water. It's obvious that the drain is clogged. I have two ways that I unclog the kitchen drains. First I try the easy power flush method, where I hold the drain covers down firmly and turn on the disposal. The high pressure that builds up from this usually breaks up the clog. That didn't work this time so I went and got the big plunger. Again, not working. The drain is still clogged, and even worse, I now notice that I am standing in water. It's obvious that have to escalate this thing and call the plumber. After ten minutes under my kitchen sink the plumber pops his head out and says, "Good news, bad news. Which do you want first?"
"I assume the good news is that you cleared the drain."
"I did. The bad news is that your disposal is cracked. It's as if it had too much pressure applied to it, and it just burst. Anyway, the whole job will cost $320."
"Really? Too much pressure you say."

5 comments:

  1. Why put potato peelings in the garbage disposal instead of simply putting them in the garbage? It seems it is just asking for trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes,especially when it says right in the instruction booklet not to put that many peels in there. They were already sitting there in the sink, and I figured that if the disposal was so effective at chewing up a spoon, it could handle potato peels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Compost? You mean raccoon smorgasbord.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHAT??!! No comment from your plumber-brother???

    ReplyDelete
  5. 320.!! I was going to ask you to loan me that much. So I could get back up north.

    ReplyDelete