Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Stacked

 I don't know what to blame this on. Old age, twelve weeks of chemo back in 1988, vodka? I find it hard to blame it on the vodka, it was still morning when I did this. I got up and walked the dogs, Chandler first. He had diarrhea, so it's a good thing he went first. Even though he left nothing but a puddle of liquid, I did bend over and pretend I was picking it up, just so that the neighbors wouldn't think I had left a turd on their lawn. But that's not what I'm talking about here. After walking the dogs, I took it upon myself to do some laundry. Now usually Mark does all the laundry, but I was running short of shorts, so I threw a few of those in, along with some underwear, tee shirts, and Polo shirts. As I closed the door to the machine the phone rang. So on my way out of the bedroom I asked Mark to finish starting the machine.

Two hours later. I noticed that Mark had put the clothes into the dryer, and he had put another load in the washer that needed to be dried. When I started folding the clothes from the dryer, I noticed that they smelled dirty. I looked closely and sure enough, there was the grease on the shirt I had worn while eating dinner the day before.
"Mark, why aren't these clothes clean?"
"What clothes?"
"The ones you put in the dryer."
"I didn't put any clothes in the dryer. I put a load in the washing machine like you asked."
It turned out that had I put the clothes into the wrong machine that morning. And that wouldn't be so bad, if it was the very first time I had done that. But it wasn't. I had done the exact same thing the day before. But the day before I hadn't just loaded the clothes into the dryer. I put them into the dryer and then put detergent in the washer and turned that on. The more I think about it, maybe it was the vodka.

5 comments:

  1. I'm mildly concerned about you, Alan, but very worried about Chandler.

    Why does he have the runs, or is that too complicated a question since you can't tell the washer from the dryer?

    Answer to all = more vodka.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm. Maybe it's time to send the laundry out. I mean... if a man can't have a drink of vodka in the evening then what's the world coming to?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hostess, the answer is pork fat. Mark made a roast pork, and used Chandler as a fat disposal. He's fine now, though he woke me twice in the middle of the night to let him out.

    Kim, Mark is my laundry. I have to take a stab at it once in awhile just to remind him why he does it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are these the genes I have to look forward to? The more I hear, the more I hope it's just the vodka. Oh, and I've started drinking vodka.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah Steve....I was looking for my toenail clipper. It wasn't in the usual place in a basket in the bathroom, I even had on my super-magnifying glasses (better for clipping). I hunted all over and then just gave up....and as I was sliding my glasses into their case (in the basket) I met with some resistance.....the toenail clippers!! You are doomed!

    ReplyDelete