Friday, June 21, 2013

I Take a Leak

It was two thirty in the morning when I got up for my first pee of the night. As I stood there I could hear water running through the pipes in the wall. Who the hell was taking a shower at this hour? I figured my tenants must have had a good reason for late night showering and went back to bed. An hour and a half later I was up for pee number two (Peeing all night long is one of the benefits I have reaped by living past sixty years). Again I heard the water running through the pipes. Nobody could be up using the water at that hour. Somebody must have left one of the garden hoses running, but there was a thunder storm raging outside and I was too sleepy to go out and check.

Why is it that every time I think I am catching up on my finances, something goes horribly wrong? At the first light of day I went outside and checked all the hoses. None of them were on, but over at the edge of Mark's tomato garden a strange thing had happened. A bubbling brook had sprung up out of the ground just like in "The Song of Bernadette". Only this was not going to cure anybody except my plumber. Fourteen hours later, and four hundred dollars lighter our water main was repaired.


5 comments:

  1. plus you have to pay for all the water that was wasted! and worry about a possible sink hole! Crap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain. It's times like these when I think renting is a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy crap! Peg is that you? I didnt even think of a sink hole... until now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe a sink hole will swallow up your pool. Then you can just fill it in with dirt and be done with it. By the way my first thought was that leaking pipe was cause by someone drilling a hole into it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why Garrett, were you drilling holes in the backyard when you lived here? Actually it was right next to Carl the Cat's grave. I was afraid they'd dig him up.

    ReplyDelete