Monday, June 3, 2013

Slim Pickin's

I was never good at sports, and at this point in my life I don't think I'm going to get any better. There was a time, about twenty years ago, that I actually was good at bowling. Even that has passed me by. That's why I watch sports on television. I can go for three hours and when the game is all over, I'm not winded. One thing that used to happen quite often when I was a kid is that I was usually picked last. Softball, last; basketball, last if at all; any kind of athletic game and I was picked last.

Yesterday I walked over to the bowling alley to see if I could get on a league. I haven't bowled for a year. They cancelled our league and I just didn't take the time to check out bowling on a different evening. But I figured I still have a ball, some shoes, and a bowling bag that have been sitting in a locker over at the bowling alley. I should put them to use. Sunday was the first night of the summer league so I figured I'd be able to get on a team. After sitting for one hour through the pre-bowling meeting, and listening to people argue over the rules and other minutia, it was finally time to bowl. Son of a bitch if they didn't fill every slot with those who showed up. By the time they got to me there was no more room. I was shut out even though I knew a few people on that league. It was kind of creepy to not be picked. For a while I felt like I was ten years old again, but I got over it. After all, my television still works and there are plenty of baseball games on all summer.

7 comments:

  1. Join a lesbian league. There's more beer and always room for one more. Just sign up as Alicia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny thing Hostess. In 1983 I joined a lesbian league. We were the only male team on the league. It was on that league that I bowled my best game ever, 287, and we finished in second place. The only bad thing about all that is that the trophies we got all had ladies on top of them. Also some of the other bowlers seemed to resent a team of gay men on their league.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was actually a mixed league and my trophy had a man on top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've always had a man on top.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think we even took the trophies home, just returned them so they could be used the next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And now your lady trophy would look so good next to Alicia's picture!! BTW- where are they? We are missing them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Was that team called the Alley Cats?

    ReplyDelete