Friday, October 11, 2019

An Accident Waiting to Happen


For years we've had a coffee table that sits in front of the sofa. We had it in Florida and then moved it on up to Chicago. I kind of liked it. It was big and had a drawer at each end for stowing things. Mark bought it from the now defunct Bombay Store and it served us well. Despite the gnawed leg courtesy of Scout, and a few other nicks and scratches, I liked it. But there were  a couple of problems. Like I said, it was big. It took up too much of the living room. Also, Mark considered it a nice place to store piles of his magazines. I keep hearing that the printed magazine business is in peril, but Mark is trying to keep it afloat all by himself. He must have twenty subscriptions and he never, ever throws them away. So there it is, a nice coffee table with about two hundred pounds of magazines on it and a table leg that has been whittled down a bit by dog teeth. All it took was for me to try and nudge it over a bit for that leg to snap and all of Mark's magazines slide on off to the floor. Nobody got upset. I simply put a small footstool under the corner of the table, all fixed. Mark looked at it as an opportunity to buy something. The new table came yesterday. I don't hate it, but it certainly isn't craftsman style, which is what most of our decor is in the living room. More like what they call mid-century. I'll just have to be careful not to get drunk and fall into the new table. It has a glass top and stabby things poking out from all angles. Perfect for a stumble bum like me. 


1 comment: