Monday, October 7, 2019

Rich Pfeiffer


1975ish

One evening in February of 1973, I picked up an underground newspaper I had in the house and noticed a mention of the Chicago Gay Alliance. I decided that I would drive over there and see what that was all about. In a small brick house sandwiched between The Gold Coast and Cabrini-Green projects, on west Elm Street, I met a group of gay activists. That was where I met Richard Pfeiffer. Yesterday Rich's husband Tim, let me know that Rich died Saturday night.

Richard Pfeiffer spent fifty years working for LGBTQ rights. He had already been involved for a few years when I met him. Richard was one of the founders of Beckman House on north Halsted Street long before Halsted became synonymous with gay bars and stores. Beckman House was a gay community center with a youth group, a help line, and a speakers bureau that sent actual gay people to speak in front of school groups and other organizations. I accompanied Rich and another speaker on one of those speaking engagements. It was the early 1970s and out gay people were still rare outside of the gay ghetto. And no, I did not speak. More than two people in a room and I get the jitters. Perhaps Rich Pfeiffer's most amazing accomplishment was coordinating the annual Gay Pride Parade right on up to, and including, the 2019 parade and all the events around that. But mostly what I will remember about Rich and the rest of the guys from way back when, is the fun we had. Serious business fighting for your rights against the entrenched customs and culture, yet we had a lot of good times. Richard Pfeiffer's passing will leave a huge hole in our world. 





1 comment:

  1. Nice remembrance, Alan, and good tribute to Richard. I'm sorry I only met him a few years ago, but honor his many good works on behalf of our community. This must be a difficult time for Tim. Our thoughts and prayers are with Richard's extended family.

    ReplyDelete