Monday, October 14, 2019

Crabby Lady Popeye


On the way home from grocery shopping Saturday, Mark calls and asks me to pick up lunch.
"I want Popeye's chicken. They have some kind of chicken wing special."
"Ahhh... Popeye's?  The crabby lady's Popeye's?"
"Pleeease..."
I hate going to the crabby lady's Popeye's. It is the closest one to our house and not the worst, but still. I hate dealing with that woman. It is owned by the crabby lady who doesn't take coupons. Coupons that are issued directly from the Popeye's corporation. Also, she is a micro-manager. I have been there ordering, with everything going smoothly, when she sticks her nose between the cashier and me, screwing things up and getting the order wrong. Problem is that you can't say anything to her. She'll give you the stink eye and say something mean. My favorite visit was the time Mark left his wallet on the counter after he called her names. (Read about that one, here)

Anyway, I go to Popeye's and stand there in front of the counter looking for Mark's wing special on the menu. I start at one end and read across to the other end. I don't see any wing special, so I start at the beginning again. Now I see a wing special that I swear was not up there before, but before I can see what it is all about the menu changes. Popeye's has installed a new menu board. It is made up of four video screens and changes every minute or so because they can't fit all their options on one menu. If the idiots didn't use big photos of the food, and a such a large font, they could have fit it all up there. And about those photos, that is not at all what my order looks like when I pull it out of the bag at home.
"Whoa, did I just see a wing special flash off that screen?" I ask the young lady cashier.
"Which wing special did you want..." And before I can say anything the menu changes again.
"There, that one." I point up to the video screen which changes again just as the young woman turns to look.
"Does that thing have a damn pause button?"

Eventually I got my ten wings for five dollars, but it took much longer than it should have. One good thing about my visit to Popeye's. The crabby owner was not there, or there might have been trouble. Not for her, for me. She's mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment