Friday, October 4, 2019

Pizza Controversy: New York or Chicago


New York Pizza
Problems with Mark's health has resulted in me being responsible for feeding us. There are a few things wrong with that. I hate to cook, I don't know how to cook, and I don't know what to cook. Yet, somehow I've come up with a few dinners, lunches, and breakfasts so that we haven't starved. Anyway, as I was pondering just what the hell I could produce for dinner last night, Mark said, "Why don't you order pizza for us tonight."  Great idea, and I readily agreed. My favorite pizza is what I grew up with. Old school Chicago pizza. Thin crust, cut into squares, with ingredients procured only from Mafia run suppliers. Yes, that was a thing back in the 1960s. Mafia mozzarella, tomato sauce, and sausage. They controlled the pizza business around here, along with the gay bars.
"How about Calo's Pizza?" I suggested.
"That square cut, weird Chicago pizza? No, I want New York pizza."
I controlled myself, and did not say, 'Then why don't you go back to New York?'
Instead of starting a huge argument, I suggested the little pizza place at Lincoln and Foster Avenues. The one with the sign that says, New York Pizza.
"Ugh, that isn't real New York pizza. New York pizza is all drippy with grease and you fold it in half and eat it like that."
"Oh right, I saw that in the Subway Pizza Rat video. Okay then, how about Lou Malnati's pizza?"
Mark's face twisted into a knot as he made a sound of disgust.
"Deep dish, I hate that crap. Here's my debit card, just get what you want, but not Lou Malnati's."
Forty five minutes later I was eating thin crust, square cut, Calo's Pizza. Unfortunately, with Mark's favorite pepperoni on it. No Mafia sausage.

Chicago Pizza

No comments:

Post a Comment