Monday, October 21, 2019

Eventually Somebody Will Notice and Push Me Back In


Spent some time out in the garden on Saturday. I pulled all the mums out of the window boxes out front and planted them in the backyard garden. Then I put the garden hose and the window boxes in the basement for the winter. Finally, I took the bag of daffodil bulbs that I bought at Home Depot and planted them along the fence. I was on my hands and knees digging little holes and shoving a bulb down each hole. After I made sure each bulb was upright and at the right depth, I went back along the row and covered each one with dirt. A winter dirt nap for the daffodil bulbs. I then was reminded of how old age is creeping up. Besides the five minute peeing, and having to pee every hour because of my old man prostate. Besides walking into rooms and forgetting why I walked into that room, and also forgetting many of my relatives names. Besides fingers that don't quite work the way they used to because they hurt all the time. Besides all those things, there was still one thing I hadn't experienced yet. Not being able to get my ass up onto my feet after kneeling down. There among the mums and daffodil bulbs, I lay like a beached whale, unable to pull myself back upright. As the dogs rollicked in the yard, I took appraisal of my situation. I knew Mark would never find me out there, and Dennis only comes out there once a day to throw out the garbage. No, I would have to figure this out on my own. So I dragged myself over to the little brick wall I had built to keep the dogs out of the garden, and managed to pull myself up. All the time thinking of that ad I used to laugh at on television. "I've fawlen and I can't get up."

No comments:

Post a Comment