Monday, August 6, 2007

Our trip to Georgia part one







We just got back from our trip to Atlanta and Savannah, Georgia. Savannah is beautiful and we had many great meals. I can't say the same for Atlanta. In Atlanta we ate at a landmark restaurant called 'Mary Macs'. It was written up as a great place to get authentic southern cooking. When we walked in we were greeted and shown to a table in a separate room from the main room. I can only guess that it is referred to by the staff as the 'bachelor room'. It was me and Mark, plus two other gentlemen of the gay persuasion. Later two more obvious gay men were seated there. Through the door I could see the main room full of families and male, female couples. Now don't get me wrong, I liked the 'batchelor room'. Having grown up with so many small children around, I like to be with the adults.

When we first sat down an old lady greeted us and with a southern drawl said "Hi, how are y'all doin". She then proceded to give us both a long lingering back rub while we talked about where we're from and other chit chat. It was creepy. I can only assume she worked there, or maybe she is Mary Mac.

I ordered fried chicken with collard greens and macoroni and cheese. Halfway through my chicken I bit into a long (8 inch) blonde hair. Which is even more odd because all the kitchen help is black. When I went to wash down the offending chicken with a tall glass of ice water, I noticed a orange smudge on the glass. I went to wipe it off with a napkin, but it didn't come off. Moving my straw up and down in the glass I realized IT WAS ON THE INSIDE. By the way what food I did eat was bland and awful.

9 comments:

  1. Well what happened next?? Did you receive a free lunch or just some peach pie on the house?? Do I have to wait for part two??

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is no free lunch. I was just happy not to get sick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Authentic Southern style down home cooking isn’t necessarily a taste sensation. I worked in the south (Streator Illinois) and for nine month couldn’t find one restaurant worth returning to, however the bakery had great pies.Lots of sugar and butter. The old ladies behind the counter had those big floppy arms just like at the old Kleppers Bakery.

    You know when I go to a restaurant and they ask ‘smoking or non-smoking’ I request ‘non-child’ . I like to eat a quiet meal. If I want a meal with action I make sure it’s a family gathering..

    ReplyDelete
  4. reading about the hair in your food made me gag...thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Creepy or not I would have enjoyed the back rub... =D

    ReplyDelete
  6. like i said...Streator IS southern to me. I saw the same thing down there. When you went near the Vermillion river (one of the only rivers that flows north) you could hear the banjos....

    ReplyDelete
  7. The hair made me gag and the back rub (I don't care how desperate or achy I may be) is creepy!
    Recently we drove Tricia down to Pensacola where she is now attending the University of West Florida. Let me say we saw many 'southern' things on our way down there in our U Haul that gave me the willies! (I was amazed at the trail of fireworks outlets...)
    I'm seriously looking forward to your next installment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gee it sounds like segregation doesn't go out of style in the south. They just pick another group of people to keep separate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to say that you and Mark are VERY brave to go driving in the DEEP south!!! So many popular "mom and pop" places are not as great as they are cracked up to be! We went to a BBQ place in Nashville that had been featured on Food Network....I was not impressed! Hair in the food... I guess that means check the kitchen for hairnets before you order!!

    ReplyDelete