Monday, December 17, 2007

Every Dog Has It's Day


These two things are fact, the Miami Dolphins lost thirteen games in a row this season, and my dog Molly is afraid of firecrackers. Yesterday, after watching the fourteenth Dolphins game of the season, I took Molly for her ‘walkies’, at which time I expected her to go ‘poopies’ down the street on the church lawn. What I didn’t figure, was that some moronic Dolphin fans would react to the Dolphins finally winning a game, like they had just won the Super Bowl. Believe it or not they were driving around, honking their horns and blowing off fireworks.

Molly’s reaction to fireworks is to take off running, dragging me after her. Fireworks terrify her, and the more I tried to calm her down, the more firecrackers the assholes blew off. It really is a pain in the ass, because she pulls so hard on her leash that the choker collar actually chokes her, causing raspy panting and her eyes to bulge out. She never did go poopies.

That’s the one thing I like about cats, they never have to be taken out to go poopies. They poop right in the house. This is very convenient on rainy days and days you don’t feel like getting out of bed because of yesterdays cocktail hour. What isn’t so pleasant is the task of cleaning the litter box. Years ago you would pour some ground up clay litter into the box and in a few days you would have to drag it outside and dispose of it, quite nasty. Then some genius came up with scoopable litter, just scoop out the little turds and balls of pee every day. That is of course if you do it every day. All too often I look at that disgusting box and decide, it’s only one cat, I’ll let it slide today. The next thing I know it’s been a week and when I go to scoop it out it’s like picking up a big smelly adobe brick.

It’s probably just as well that nobody has developed ‘Doggy Litter’. Even if you could get the dog to poop in a box, I don’t think you could scoop it out fast enough to get ahead of the smell. And by the way, would the cat want to eat it?

8 comments:

  1. But a doggie little box has already been invented!

    It is made for high rise apartment dwellers. It is basically a large shallow box with with grass turf which can be kept on the balconey. You simply open the balcony sliding doors and let fido do his thing on the portable lawn. Clean up is easy, no walking involved, and the pee goes into the dirt or special soil. Do a search on Google. I'm sure you'll find it and how it work and where to buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.doggysolutions.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. you may be interested in this...

    http://www.citikitty.com/?gclid=CJz7meagsJACFTyKOAodRkSoOQ

    the videos are my favorite part.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Alan, they DO make doggie litterboxes! Just ask Carolyn about the teacup poodle she wanted Mom to get....and it would use a litterbox if you trained it! Steve and his roommate had 2 mini- dachshunds who were litterbox trained....they only went little poopies! The bigger the dog, the less you want to scoop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous, I like the box on the balcony. You just flip the turds over the railing onto the sidewalk below.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have had to toss a few adobe bricks out myself. I'm glad I am not the only one who doesn't scoop as often as I should. I know someone who scoops two to three times a day. Of course this individual has a few more cats than you or me. I have very seriously considered getting the automatic scooping box. I'm just afraid that the cat wouldn't exit the box quick enough and she would get caught in the mechanism. Can you imagine the scream?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Russ, I tried one of those automatic litter boxes. It has a sensor which detects when the cat is gone. Even if the cat did stay in the box and it started up, the noise would scare the cat out and/or the scooping rake would just push the cat out of the box.

    The problem I noticed is the litter is only suppose to be about 1 inch deep for it to work well. It is fine if your cat doesn't like to bury it's waste. However, if you have a cat that likes to dig deep holes and then bury their poop, this isn't the box for you.

    And then if your cat has diarrhea and gets it in the gears or sides then you got messy problems. It dose work as they say and it works well, but for the hefty $100. bucks price tag I'ld rather get a extra large large $5+ dollar Walmart high side plastic storage bid and cut a "U" shape opening in the side and fill it with a $6. 40 pound bag of kitty litter about 5 inches deep. This works well for a multicat household or if you have diggers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Garet. Guess I will stick it out the old fashioned way...

    ReplyDelete