Friday, December 28, 2007

Photo Friday

Alan Makes Kolachkes
Last week I got a craving for my mom's kolachkes, so I called my sister and asked if she could e-mail me the recipe.

It looked easy enough, however I was surprised that it took a pound of margarine and half a pound of cream cheese. I took it upon myself to substitute butter for the margarine, and hoped for the best.

What I should have done is cut the recipe in half. My mom was always cooking for a dozen or more people.

I managed to make a pretty workable dough, and it seemed to be going well.

The first batch took fifteen minutes longer in the oven than the recipe said it would, but came out looking good. I turned the oven up to 400 degrees and left the second batch in for twenty five minutes.

The result turned out as good as my mom's and I made up this plate for Mark's birthday instead of a cake. The only problem is that I ended up eating most of the kolachkes myself, and I think they may contain two thousand calories each, plus all of that cholesterol. I can feel my heart clogging as I type.

7 comments:

  1. ...just another reason to learn to eat a healthy vegetarian diet high in protein and low in carbs.

    I've learned that sugar, processed and refined foods all do damage to your body and age you prematurely.

    Yes, learning to eat healthy is a challenge and one worth it. You may feel like you are going against the current with friends and relatives, but believe me eventually people will work with you and support your efforts.

    I had Christmas dinner for the first time in my life the other day where the conversation didn't lead to my vegetarianism for most of the meal.

    Although I missed out on educating others, it was a pleasant relief. I felt as I was accepted for who I was...and no big deal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and Happy Birthdays Alan 12/27 and Mark 12/29!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marks birthday was Dec. 23, at least you were close.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pictures!!! My only comment is that I'm glad you didn't inhale all that powdered sugar and have respiratory distress!!! The hardest part about making them is avoiding eating them all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't get me wrong. Coming from a huge Polish family from Chicago's south side of 9 polish aunts and uncles, I'm no stranger to Kolachkes. I love 'em!!

    Although I haven't tried them in a while, they were my favorite cookie of all times. I love the ones with apricot or plum filling. They are definately a comfort food and holiday stress reliever.

    ReplyDelete