Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Sweet Dreams


Sometimes I really enjoy dreams, even if they wake me up, because they can be so entertaining. Eighty percent of my dreams take place in Chicago. Not real Chicago, but a bizarro world Chicago. The Kennedy expressway, where it winds through downtown, becomes a wild multi-level highway with abandoned streets and ramps below the main road. The north side where I used to live is a pleasant residential neighborhood, until you get too far off towards the west, then it becomes a stark dangerous place full of damp viaducts.

The remaining twenty percent of my dreams take place in bizarro Tinley Park, circa 1965, and a very few are set in bizarro Wilton Manors. I’m not sure why my subconscious is obsessed with Chicago, but It may be an omen that some day I may move back after global warming floods Florida and makes Chicago warm enough to actually enjoy.

This morning I woke up from a crazy, yet entertaining dream. In it I had to move out of my house here in Florida, and move in to my girl friends apartment in Chicago. In this dream I arrive at her place and have to take an elevator, with no lights in it, to the third floor of what later turns out to be a third floor walk-up. Once in her apartment, I give her a big hug and realize that she is so fat I can’t even get my arms around her. Then I sit down on the sofa, which is my grandma Webb's old sofa, and wonder how to get out of this situation. I then decide to go to the corner store and get cigarettes, and after that just not come back. Then, poof, I’m outside Wrigley Field, at which point I wake up.

So what is going on here? Where is Mark? Why am I going to live with a fat girl when I don’t even like girls? Do I really still crave cigarettes after quitting for twenty five years? Why did grandma Webb’s sofa make an appearance after I got rid of it over twenty years ago?

Geez, I really like dreams like that, sleep would be so boring without them.

4 comments:

  1. You aren't dreaming...you've just been Hip-Moe-Tized by the Twilight Zone. You actually do live with a fat girl, smoke cigarettes, and live in Chicago. You're just dreaming that you live in Florida with a thin black man, and haven't smoked in 25 years. Gee, that is like, a completely opposite life style. hmmmm. do-do-do-do do-do-do-do (twilight zone tune) hehe :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have really "@#%-ed up" dreams sometimes. I attribute many of mine to my anti-schizophrenic medication. I may not have episodes while awake now, but the dreams are really scary bizarre sometimes. Sounds like you have some unfinished issues!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You hit the nail on the head. I too enjoy my wild dreams. I think it has something to do with our lifestyles in the 1970's. You know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dreams to me are just entertainment while we sleep. Don't be scared.

    ReplyDelete