Monday, December 10, 2007

Sexist

When I was a child the ‘Today Show’ featured Dave Garroway and Mr. Muggs along with a good chunk of serious news reporting. Mr. Muggs was a chimpanzee, so you know the Today Show of the 1950’s wasn’t all that serious. However it was a lot less fluffy than the one NBC puts on every morning now. It really is no more than a women’s coffee klatch aimed at the less informed woman who doesn’t want to clutter up her mind with too much of the real world.

Mark likes to watch the Today Show every morning, but that is only a time killer until his real morning favorite comes on. I can hear it every weekday, usually from my office or the living room, the unmistakable sound of a barnyard coming from the TV in the bedroom. A chicken coop to be exact. Bwawk, bawk, bawk, bawk, bawk, bawk, hot topics, Bwawk, hot topics! When I hear Mark joining in, and loudly squawking along with the hens, I know ‘The View’ is on. I don’t know how anyone can understand what the hell they’re saying on that show. They all talk over each other yet seem to be following one another. The funny part, is when Mark joins in like he’s the resident rooster to the flock of hens. I always have to remind him that they cannot hear him and his ‘view’ isn’t being heard. I have to admit that I did watch it a few times when Mark called me in to watch Rosie verbally beat the crap out of Elizabeth Hasselbeck. That loses it’s appeal quickly when you realize what an unfair advantage Rosie had, with that big head and all.

I know I’ve complained before about Mark’s tendency to talk back to the television, that is why I always try to watch programs only on the TV that is attached to the TiVo unit in the living room. When Mark starts having conversations with the people on the television, I just pause it until he finishes. TiVo, now that had to be invented by a man.

5 comments:

  1. I generally like the informal setting of The View, but you are absolutely right about it sounding like a bunch of hens sometimes. I especially can't stand the older redhead (whatever her name is).

    Does "Tivo" record as your watching a show so that you can just pause and catch up again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the laughs!! Poor Mark your so mean to him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Russell, TiVo allows you to pause and catch up. I like to TiVo all my favorite shows and FF through the commercials.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carolyn, mean to Mark? Please, he has the life of Riley here. As long as he keeps cooking for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mark is the "Edith Bunker" in Alan's World. Right AHHCHEE?

    ReplyDelete