Monday, April 1, 2013

Happy Dyngus Day!

I hope you had a wonderful Easter weekend, mine was mixed. Easter Sunday was capped off with a great meal at the home of some friends. Besides the fact that they are very good cooks, there was also the fact that I didn't have to clean up after dinner. I was stunned when I found out you could cook for six people and not leave the kitchen a disaster zone. I asked our hosts how they did that, and they replied that it was something called "Cleaning as you cook". Amazing, I'll have to remind Mark of that the next time he destroys the kitchen while making dinner. So the dinner was great, but the rest of my Easter weekend was spent dealing with tenants. We had the young couple in the front apartment move out Saturday afternoon, and the older couple I rented to, move in Sunday morning. That was the fastest I have ever turned that apartment around. Luckily the folks moving out left it in pretty decent shape. Still it ruined my regular Sunday routine of laying in bed until 11:55. (Six minutes later and I feel like I've wasted the whole morning)

Easter was always a bit confusing for me as a kid. I never could figure out how Jesus could grow to adulthood in just three months, from December 25th until Easter, when ever that was. That's another thing, I never know when Easter is. One year it's late in April, and others like this year, it's in March. Does the Pope just pick a number out of his big pointy hat, and that's when Easter is? Still, Easter is a great holiday for kids whenever it is. Especially if they don't have parents that make them do all that religious stuff. It was that basket full of candy that made it almost as good as Christmas and Halloween. And then there are the eggs. When I was a kid, I loved coloring eggs on the Saturday afternoon before Easter. I loved hunting for them the next morning. What I didn't like so much was eating them after they had been laying around in the bushes, and under the living room couch. Especially the ones that had leaked coloring inside. Blue hard boiled eggs are not very appetizing. 

All in all I had a pretty nice Easter, but now it's done. The self denial of Lent is over (I gave up hating religion for lent), and now we can all go back to our wild ways. Have a happy Dyngus Day everybody!

5 comments:

  1. The date of Easter is determined by the moon. The first Sunday following the full moon that occurs or follows the spring equinos (March 21) is Easter. So it falls on different days between March 22 and April 25, depending when the first full moon occurs after March 21st.

    That does not make it any easier to figure out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I see how that works, but that means Easter couldn't really be the day Jesus became a zombie (re-animated). Or maybe the full moon had something to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Better be careful, you have some "born-again" catholics in your readership. I'm sure you don't want to piss off the hypocrites. Do you think god can recognize religious hypocrisy? I know that I can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well All Righty!

    AP always eats too much chocolate at Easter and gets gout.

    Happy Dyngus Day to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Anonymous, I know better. Catholics have the best sense of humor. Not like those other religions, like the Taliban. A priest, a rabbi, and an imam walked into a bar....

    ReplyDelete