Thursday, April 25, 2013

Spoiler

"So this guy, who isn't rich, falls for a rich woman who dumps him because he's not rich... blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah... and then Gatsby gets shot... blah, blah, blah, blah... "
"Enough already Mark, I get it. You don't have to play out the entire movie for me."
"Well I can't believe you never read the book or saw the movie."
"I know, I'm a moron and you're a college graduate. So big deal, I never saw The Great Gatsby, nor did I ever read the book. It wasn't required reading in school, and I didn't like the font on the movie poster, so I didn't go see it"

Mark just did two things that piss me off to the point where I have threatened bodily harm is he doesn't shut up. First he revealed the plot of a movie, including the ending. Secondly, he kind of called me an idiot for not knowing something he knows. In many respects Mark is much more well read than I am, and he is a college graduate, which I am not. But what I do know, I think, makes up for most of that. I don't get lost every time I visit a new city and wander around nearly in tears for hours. I know how to stop Mark's computer from crashing after he downloads suspect 'movies'. I know how to manage my finances so that I don't run out of money halfway through the month. And most of all, I can squish a giant cockroach instead of running around the house screaming, "Kill it. kill it", and then vomiting when I do kill it.

No, I have never read nor seen The Great Gatsby. I will probably see the newest version of the movie though. Not because Mark's narrative of the story piqued my interest, or because I like movies about rich people. I'll see it because Leo DiCaprio is in it. I can't think of one movie he's been in that I haven't liked. Wait, I take that back. I didn't like Romeo and Juliet, I thought it sucked.
Oh, I can hear Mark when he reads this.
"You don't like Romeo and Juliet? What kind of uneducated man do I live with?"

7 comments:

  1. I had to read the Great Gatsby in high school and saw the movie. Didn't like either so you aren't missing anything! As for you not graduating from college, you have more common sense than most college graduates and being able to take care of everyone's computers is much more important!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Leo. If the movie he is in sucks I just turn down the volume. (I hated Inception btw and everyone I tell that to says, "oh but it was so goooood! The plot was so involved. Did you understand...?" Yes. Yes I understood the long ass overly complicated crap movie. I just didn't like it. Except of course for Leo:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The thing with Inception is that I didn't turn it off. I watched the whole thing. I turned R&J off after fifteen minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I remember reading about was a really good party Gatsby threw. Now I have to go re-read the book before I go to the movie...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well. George Bush went to Yale. 'nuff said.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And a solid C student. Thank you daddy, and grandpa.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does anyone know how to get to Poughkeepsie New York?

    ReplyDelete