Friday, September 21, 2007

Splitting Hairs

Trust is paramount in a relationship. If you don’t have trust I don’t see how anything else will work out. Over the years I’ve worn my hair many different ways, and the fact that at fifty seven I still have it means I can still experiment with it. My mothers choice of hair cut for me during my childhood was the pompadour. She changed that ,once when I was seven, getting me a crew cut for the summer. Probably because my mom didn’t want to deal with getting me to the barber shop for three months.




In High School I really wanted a Beatles cut but my dad and the Tinley Park High School dress code prevented what I’m sure would have been a really ‘boss’ haircut (Boss: 1960’s slang meaning real nice. Now replaced by ‘Flossy’ or ‘Awesome’.).
Into the late sixties early seventies I wore the regulation hippie pothead cut. It was very easy to maintain, wash once a week and comb once a day.

As the seventies progressed I went with the shag split look. It was ‘hot’. I’m sure I was the coolest guy in Chicago back then.

On into the eighties I changed to the young professional look, which worked well when I got into the corporate world of computers.

When I moved to Florida in the nineties I adopted more of an I don’t really care cut. Just get it off my neck and out of my eyes and do it quickly because I hate people touching my head.

The last few years I decided to go back to when I was seven years old, and have been getting what is almost a crew cut. It seemed to me that paying someone twenty dollars to do the easiest haircut you can get was wasteful. So this time I let Mark cut my hair with his new ‘Wahl Hair Cutting Kit’. He of course bought it on sale and it has been sitting around the house for awhile. After watching the DVD instruction video, we went into the kitchen and Mark started to cut.

It was not reassuring to keep hearing oop’s, oh no, and oh my god, being muttered under his breath. In fact at one point he totally abandoned the clippers and started cutting free hand with the scissors. But it’s OK, I trusted that Mark wouldn’t screw my hair up. I just sat there knowing that for twenty dollars the guys at Joe’s Barber Shop can fix anything.

2 comments: