Monday, September 3, 2007

I Defend a Republican. (This is not Political)

I grew up with a healthy distrust of cops. My mother, although no Ma Barker, didn’t like cops. In fact one of my favorite stories is when a cop tried to pull her over for speeding and she wouldn’t stop. She ignored him and just kept driving on at the speed limit with the cop behind her, his lights and siren on for two miles.






Another time when I was twelve or thirteen years old some friends and I got caught by the cops throwing stones at a passing freight train. They brought us to the police station and called our parents. When my mother showed up, I didn’t deny what I did at all, yet she yelled at the cops.

I have been gay for fifty seven years. In not one of those years have I ever heard of the practice of tapping your foot, then reaching under your neighbors bathroom stall, signaling with a wave of your left hand followed by a slide over to touch his foot, to indicate that I wanted to perform illicit public a sex act. (Although this could be how tap dancing was invented.) Because of the jobs I’ve had, cab driver, delivery man, computer field service, using public rest rooms was the norm and in that time I never have run across such a thing.
Then there’s Senator Larry Craig who was arrested for doing just that. I don’t know, but from what I’ve heard on the tapes, that is all that happened. A tap, a wave, and a slide. No sex, no offer of sex, no exposure. So what was he arrested for? Apparently for what the cop thought Senator Craig was thinking. I don’t doubt that the cop led him on somehow. I also don’t doubt that the Senator thought he might get lucky. However, the only thing that I see Senator Craig guilty of is stupidity, for pleading guilty.


6 comments:

  1. I agree completely with you Alan. I know there are guys that "connect" in bathrooms, which not only isn't legal, but is sad. But, entrapment is just that, entrapment.

    Senator Craig plead guilty because he thought it was the best thing to do for it to go away ?????? If anything, why didn't he spend our taxpayer dollars to get him off. No pun intended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i usually try to get in and out of public restrooms as quickly as possible (ewww...germs).

    i just assumed gay men find a piece of a** the way the rest of us do...in a bar.

    i bet you're getting to know me waaaaaaaaaay better than you ever wanted to alan.
    by the way, i was kidding about the piece of a** part mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Laura, Gay men hook up much the same as straight people do. Public restroom sex is really old school. But then again Sen. Craig is old.

    By the way I cleaned up your comment a little bit as the whole family reads this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe Senator Craig stated that he has a wide "stance" when he is at a urinal. I believe that is how he accidently nudged the undercover(sex police) cop's foot.

    Realizing he hit his neighbor's foot, he probably just waved to discreetly imply, "oops, sorry about that."

    The foot tapping, as any guy will attest to, was probably a gesture of impatience at getting his equipment out at the urinal and the terrible urge of an overflowing bladder.

    I believe he made a bad judgement call in pleading guilty.

    I also believe he should have said that he was gay (even if he wasn't) and then made a music video with George Michaels and cashed in on his new celebrity status....maybe even making another video called "Senators Gone Bad.!" hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha....Alan you're funny. You cleaned it up 'because the family reads it'... hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patti, a story like that could go any direction. If he had got down on his knees he could have said he suddenly needed to pray. Or is that prey? Yes I keep this as clean as if I were talking to Mom. We talk about this kind of stuff all the time, and Larry Craig isn't gay.

    ReplyDelete