Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Sunday Night F**kup

Gee, when you don’t have safe search turned on and you type in Bears-Cowboys on Google you get some very startling results. I was looking for pictures of Sunday nights game and I got a lot of pictures of bears and cowboys, some with their clothes on.
Ever since 1986 when Charles Martin of the Green Bay Packers picked up Jim McMahon during a game and tried to drill a hole to China with his head, the Chicago Bears haven’t had a quarterback with any great skills. Things just weren’t the same after that.





1986: McMahon, Mike Tomczak, Steve Fuller, Doug Flutie
1987: McMahon, Tomczak
1988: McMahon, Tomczak, Jim Harbaugh
1989: Tomczak, Harbaugh
1990: Harbaugh, Tomczak
1991: Harbaugh
1992: Harbaugh, Peter Tom Willis, Will Furrer
1993: Harbaugh, Willis
1994: Erik Kramer, Steve Walsh
1995: Kramer
1996: Kramer, Dave Kreig
1997: Kramer, Rick Mirer
1998: Kramer, Steve Stenstrom, Moses Moreno (Moses Moreno! Who the hell was he?)
1999: Shane Matthews, Cade McNown, Jim Miller
2000: McNown, Matthews, Miller
2001: Miller, Matthews
2002: Miller, Chris Chandler, Henry Burris
2003: Kordell Stewart, Chandler, Rex Grossman
2004: Grossman, Jonathan Quinn, Craig Krenzel, Chad Hutchinson
2005: Kyle Orton, Grossman
2006: Grossman!!





Why can’t we ever get one of those super talented, tough as nails scrambling guys on our team? For just once I’d like to watch a Bears game and at least know that the quarterback is not afraid of his shadow and has the instincts of a real pro. When Rex Gossman ran for a first down in the first half, he showed instinct, the instinct to not get killed. He looked a lot like me when I was ten years old and ‘Big Al’ was coming at me with his belt. I think Rex has had the benefit of the doubt long enough and the Bears need to start thinking about a replacement. The one thing I regret about last Sundays game is not being able to sit and watch it with my dad, ‘Big Al’. He would have given a much more realistic ‘Color Commentary’ than John Madden. Sort of off color.

9 comments:

  1. Nice commentary. I liked the list. It truly tells how bad the Bears are picking quarterbacks. Grossman reminds me more of a deer in the headlights about to be hit by a 4,0000 lbs.auto.( What the heck did you do to get hit with a belt?) I can't wait another 20 years for a super bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a typical picture of you snoozing on the couch. You look just like your father, "Big Al". hehe

    Hey, if he's "Big Al" does that make you "Big Al Jr".?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, now we know that anonymous is GARETT!!! The "hehe" gave you away!
    Hmmmm, what did Alan do to get CHASED with a belt....(Our Dad could not outrun the boys so I don't believe they ever actually got hit. It was more of a suggestion than an actuality!) The best chases were the TIME FOR A HAIRCUT ones through the neighborhood. Dad hated long hair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't for a minute think 'Big Al' never caught me and used the belt. I have vivid memories of the times he did. As I said before, without the strictness I would have been even worse as a teenager than I was. Even though I could outrun him when I was older, sooner or later I had to return. That's when he could corner me like a rat in a trap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, for the record, I will not use the "hehe" word if I try to leave an anonymous comment. Some may try to impersonate me and leave a goofy comment. So if some leaves an anonymous message with a "hehe" at the end, it won't be from me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. as far as all this sports stuff goes....huh?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey look at me. I'm goofy. hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's Alan...TRYING to impersonate me. I know cause he uses the three hehehe. I only use the two hehe. Caught ya, Alan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every time I am watching the Bears with Kevin I am yelling at the t.v. Things like "kill 'em" burst forth out of my mouth. I am channeling... Big Al.
    The other day we were watching another Bears meltdown. As usual I was yelling. Kevin looked at me and said, "oh that must be where I get it". I said "no Kev, you get that from your grandpa."

    ReplyDelete