Thursday, October 18, 2007

Hump Day

Another week, another hump day and another gigantic pizza. Every Wednesday Humpys Pizza has a special that I just can’t resist. For $9.50, including tax I can get any twenty inch pizza that Humpys makes. Twenty inches is huge, I have to open the hatchback on my PT Cruiser and slide it in there to get it home. It doesn’t fit in the front seat with me. This is our dinner every Wednesday evening, our post bar snack later that night, and our lunch Thursday afternoon. Even Molly gets exited and all I give her is the crusts, but then again dogs get exited over almost anything.

Yesterday Mark and I were wandering around Wilton Manors and stopped into a new pet store on the Drive. It was really cute, with puppies kept not in cages or pens, but in actual baby cribs with Plexiglas sides. The Plexiglas sides prevent them from getting their heads caught between the bars like real babies do in Chinese made cribs. Mark and I both fell in love with a pug that seemed to be begging us to rescue her from puppy hell. We totally fell in love with Pugsley, and you can’t put a price on love. Unless that price is $2,000. When I started asking prices on the puppies in the store, I tried not to look like a deer in headlights. The man casually told me that the puppies ran from $1,400 to $2,400. After I dragged Mark out of the store (He still thought there was a possibility that the pug would be ours.) I explained to him that no way would I ever pay for a dog when perfectly good dogs are being given away at shelters everywhere.

Which brings me to Ellen. Ellen Degeneres apparently got a dog from a shelter then ran afoul of their rules resulting in them taking it back. I’m sure she has a good heart and was doing what she thought was right until things went wrong. I have no feelings about Ellen and her problems with the dog or the shelter where she got it. My problem with the story is that I was watching the NBC Nightly News the other night and their third story was a sobbing Ellen and how she sobbed on her TV show. Putin is shaking hands with Ahmadinejad, Bush is talking about wanting to start world war three, the polar ice caps are melting like an ice cube on a Florida sidewalk and NBC decides that Ellen sobbing is worth a three minute chunk the nightly news.

And they wonder why ratings for the evening news shows are falling.

6 comments:

  1. Show these websites to Mark if you still want a pug...sometimes they can put you on a waiting list if you want a puppy. I personally like older dogs better, but like babies, puppies are cute to play with for a while as long as I can give it back.

    http://www.pugrescueofflorida.org/

    http://www.compassionatepugrescue.com/

    http://www.centralfloridapugrescue.org/

    http://www.ownedbypugs.com/index.php/rescue/C26/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, looks like Laura is determined to get you another dog. What would Molly think of that? I suppose it would be better to get one before you lose Molly.

    My grandmother always had pugs and loves them. I'm not that fond of them but think the noise they make is cute. Like a little piggy.

    I agree that adopting one is a better idea than spending that much money. That is just insane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is the pizza any good? Or are you boys just size queens?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pizza is very good.

    I resist getting another dog because at twelve years I refuse to believe Molly has less than eighteen years left.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura is all about adopting dogs that need homes...and she thinks no home is really complete without 2....or 3.....!! I understand how you feel about Molly, we just pretend that our 11 and 12 yr old dogs are still the puppies they act like! As for Ellen and the rescue ladies...I just don't understand why they didn't look into the home that had the dog and see if he was in a good place. I like Ellen and think she has a good heart and I think the trash-talking is over the top. Of course it wasn't THAT newsworthy but isn't it all "National Inquirer" news now???

    ReplyDelete
  6. I live in the "boonies" & most of the pets our family acquired were middle-of-the-night dropoffs by cowardly owners who were probably too stupid or lazy to do anything else with the poor things. These dogs & cats were so loving because they had lots of space to romp, plenty of food, free health care & NO rules, except they had to get along with the other animals, including wildlife. It breaks your heart when they die, by accident or illness. Are there any "animal haunting" stories out there?

    ReplyDelete