Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Tempus Fugit




I was talking to my Aunt Jo Ann the other day and I suddenly got a memory flash of her visiting our house when I was a little boy. My Uncle Joe brought her out to visit us. I’m not sure if they were engaged yet or not, but I remember her being young and very sweet. As she looked over our clan, inside she was probably screaming "I hope he doesn’t expect me to have this many children.".

When I was a kid I never thought our family was all that strange, just that I had more brothers and sisters than most other kids. My future aunt probably thought we were a bunch of crazy little monkeys. It’s been about fifty years since that day we met her and while it doesn’t seem like yesterday, it does not seem like that long ago.

I know it’s impossible to impress young people how fast their life will fly by, because when I was twenty, I thought thirty was really a long ways away. That of course was thirty seven years ago. Now when I look at photos of that time I wonder how come they look so faded already. Didn’t I just take them?

This past Friday, Dennis, my best friend for thirty years, had his retirement party. He is now on Social Security and shows up for the ‘early bird special’ at the local tavern. I have another friend, Rudy, who is eighty one years old this year. I met him when he was still in his forties. How the hell did these guys get so old? Where did the time go? I don’t know, either I’m getting really old or I need to find some younger friends........or both.

9 comments:

  1. We become our like our older friends and parents. Just forget the toupe' and go for bald. It's much more "in". Get some younger friends too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can anyone guess which of the younger Putz's looks like Pee-Wee Herman? hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can anyone guess which of the younger Putz's looks like Spock as a child? hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alan, I take issue with you comparing our family picture with the monkeys....I think the monkeys are insulted! Garet, in that picture Alan looked cute... there is one where the photog had no idea how to line us up and poor Alan really does look like the proverbial "sore thumb"! Also Mom had to pick the pose where most of us looked decent...someone always came out unhappy!!
    P.S. Alan, do you remember that we liked Joanne so much we called her "Aunt-Joanne-we-hope-to-be!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, I don't remember calling her 'Aunt Jo Ann we-hope-to-be' just that we liked her. Still do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Peggy, yes Alan did look very cute in that picture. Isn't that the picture that Artist, Bill Sawicki, used to creat your family portrait?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm YOUNG. Hang out with me. Then I will feel even younger....hehe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Russell is "Guess Who" He was posting at 6:20 on Oct 9.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you want to feel eternally young, hang out with older people. The only problem with that is...there numbers keep declining and they get rarer to find. hmmmm


    Treasure them while they are still around.

    ReplyDelete