Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Pussy Galore (No this is not Goldfinger)

It’s kind of disturbing to find out that my niece Trish is on her way to becoming one of those crazy cat ladies with too many cats in her small apartment. I’ve had cats in my house since 1975. It all started when a friend of mine found a cat and decided that it was the perfect pet for me. I was somewhat ambivalent about it, but let it stay anyway. I named her Amanda.

Since then I’ve had Nina, Marlena, and Carlotta, plus a few of Garets cats in the house. Other than the pesky fact that I’m allergic to them, my problem is not the house cats as there is only one left. It’s the outdoor cats that are the problem. When I first bought this house I discovered two cats living in the attic. Like an idiot I named them (Attica and Carl) and gave them food. After I sealed them out of the attic of course. This might be why I have had an attic rat problem ever since.

Apparently cats have there own Internet with something like Craig’s list, because once I started feeding Attica and Carl all sorts of cats seemed to find there way into my yard at dinner time.

Last year my neighbor across the street moved out and left her cat of many years behind to fend for itself. The cat must have seen the sign on my house advertising free food for all cats, because she immediately started showing up on my porch every day. I found out her name was Alien but I call her Fat Kitty, because that is what she is.

So here I am a year later and every day I feed Fat Kitty, Attica, my neighbors cat Tigger, various possums, bufu toads, and a very bold raccoon. Tigger, the possums, the toads, and the raccoon are all gate crashers.



I’ve sicced Molly on them many times but to no avail and she has now given up.

In effect I’ve moved my problem with indoor cats, outside and probably made things worse, because when Fat Kitty is hungry or bored she stands on her rear legs and beats on my living room window. This gets to be kind of a pain in the ass because she won’t stop until I go out and entertain her with a head scratching and a walk around the yard in my arms while I talk to her.

Isn’t she cute?

5 comments:

  1. If Trish is a cat lady, I'm a cat man. I'ld like to talk with her.

    I currently reside with 12 felines. I have lots if experience with understanding their behaviors and am adept in the gericatric care of elderly felines. So if you have a question ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it very funny that Fat Kitty's real name was Allen....was your neighbor telling you something?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peggy! Read it again. Alien, not Allen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe his neighbor couldn't spell or had a thick German accent. She probably did name it Allen but it came out sounding like Alien. Think about it. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe aliens are the ones dropping off all these unwanted pets? Everyone knows Mars has pyramids & so did the Egyptians who worshipped cats. A connection? Maybe.

    ReplyDelete