Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Would You Like Fr'eyes' With That Hot-Dog?

When Mark and I had our hot-dog stand, we had to endure many idiots in the name of good business. We had the lady from Jamaica who ordered a hot-dog and then complained because she saw Mark grab hot-dogs with his bare hands and throw them into the boiling water. I explained to her that Marks hands were clean (We were clean freaks) and anyway boiling water would kill anything that might have got by the hand soap. When it became clear nothing would calm her, I stepped aside and turned it over to Mark. He promptly opened the cash register, threw some money at her and told her to "Get the hell out of here". We’re still not sure if her refund was accurate. Then there was the crotchety old white man who was leaning in the window over the grill complaining about how our cook, John, made his sandwich. No matter what I offered the old fool, he didn’t care. All he wanted to do was bitch. So as I took the mans food away, Mark opened the cash drawer, grabbed a handful of money, threw it out of the window at the old bastard and told him to get lost. Again, we’re not sure his refund was accurate. All I could hear as he walked away sputtering, was the word ‘nigger’, I had to grab the knives from out of Mark’s hand.

I of course was much more calm with customers than Mark. After years of dealing with frustrated computer users in my previous career, I developed a knack for handling people. I believe my dad used to call it ‘bullshitting’. One drunk seemed intent on causing problems and wouldn’t leave the ordering window, so I took him aside to have a conversation. Half way through our conversation he did something that he thought would really get a rise out of me. He popped out his glass eye. My employees and customers all ran away screaming as if somehow the eye would come after them. It didn’t bother me at all and I finally convinced him to leave.

There is good reason it didn’t shock, scare, or upset me. When I was a kid my older sister had to have her eye removed and replaced with a glass eye. As kids we were all aware of this, to my sister it was like arming her with another weapon with which to terrorize her little brother. When ever I got to be too much of an asshole she’d pop that thing out and come at me, holding the eye out in her hand and showing me the space in her head where it should have been. This would result in me running horrified through the house, screaming for my mother. Of course that only worked so many times before I got used to it and after a while all I’d do is snitch, "Mom! Peggy’s got her eye out again!".

You learn a lot of things in life and never know where you can use them. So I guess I owe my sister thanks for preparing me to deal with one eyed drunks.

12 comments:

  1. ahahah hahahahahahahahaaaa! When I was little she told me she was going to mold it in a paperweight for me when she dies...so she can always keep an eye on me.
    I don't remember being grossed out by it... I thought everyone's mom had a glass eye and baked cakes when I was little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as she doesn't bake it into a cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Peggy, I guess you have no secrets now. haha I am sorry for your loss and hope life wasn't too difficult along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I think that business would have boomed if you had hooter style girls on rollar skates and thong bikinis as waitresses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I did have Mark in a thong for awhile. For some reason that didn't work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay Alan, when I told you I didn't mind if you told the universe about my prosthetic eye(thats how we "eyeballers" call'em)I DID NOT give you permission to use a PICTURE of me!!! Why do you think I am always the one with the camera??? No one is supposed to have a picture...but thanks for using a younger one! You could also ask my kids about how I'd put it on the kitchen table when they were doing homework and I had to leave the room. I think I convinced them that it had remote camera abilities! Other kids have fond memories of Easter egg hunts...mine used to hunt for Mom's eye when I inadvertently had tossed it in the trash because I forgot that it was in a crumpled Kleenex! What fun we had!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Russell, for your kind comment. I don't ever remember seeing out of 2 eyes so life was what it is for everyone...all that you know. One adapts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Peggy: You seem like a really nice woman. "Eye" have no doubts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quite a few years ago, Peggy, I, & some of the other "St. George Sorority Sisters" spent the night in a Chicago hotel for a fun weekend. I almost choked on my toothbrush when I glanced up & saw an eyeball floating in a glass on the shelf above the sink. I yelped & my girlfriends laughed their behinds off. It was only Peg's glass eye staring back at me. That's what I love about her; I can crab about anything & she understands because she has been through worse. She is a lesson in patience.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The "Nancy" in the entry about "St George Sorority Sisters" is my friend from first grade, not our sister Nancy.....just in case anyone was confused!

    ReplyDelete
  11. To prevent further confusion in the future, I will go by the name of Nano, Peg's nickname for me. And only Peg knows how confusing & confused I can be!

    ReplyDelete