Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Band of Bullies

Chris Dale
First of all let me acknowledge the need for a police force in this country of maniacs with guns. But at what point do the police become as much of a problem as the criminals? This is the story of how I met Detective Chris Dale, of the Broward County Sheriffs Department, and two of his friends.

This morning I went to the hospital to pick up Mark and bring him home. He still has pneumonia, but the doctor said it would be okay if he went home. We weren't home for more than ten minutes when somebody was knocking at the front door. Through the bedroom window, where I was, I asked "who's there?". "THE POLICE! OPEN UP!". "What can I do for you? Who are you looking for?", I asked. "JUST OPEN THE DOOR, NOW!!" a voice bellowed back. I looked out the window and saw three young men, in bullet proof vests, with guns, badges, and all matter of accouterments attached to them. Once again I asked who they were looking for, and the fat one (Detective Chris Dale), once again bellowed "OPEN THE DOOR, BEFORE I BREAK IT DOWN!!".

I don't know how it is where you live, but here in South Florida, it is common to see, on the evening news, home invasions perpetrated by people claiming to be police officers. So I was hesitant to just open up the door. I went around to the front door, opened it a crack and asked what was going on. "Do you know John Doe (I'm using John Doe to protect the guilty)"? I answered yes, and they started pushing past me into the house. I told them they couldn't come in without a search warrant, and the fat one yelled at me, "WE DON'T NEED ONE, GET OUT OF THE WAY". Before I knew it they were in the house searching for John Doe. When they saw skinny, sick, Mark sitting at the dining room table, the fat assed cop said "JOHN DOE ISN'T HERE? THEN WHO IS THAT?", and he held up a picture of a black man next to Marks face. "HE LOOKS JUST LIKE HIM TO ME."

Mark


John Doe


It so happens that I do know 'John Doe'. He is a friend of Mark's and I did let him stay in one of our apartments for a few weeks between other tenants, a year ago. An apartment with a different address than ours. He paid me rent for the time he stayed, and he moved out promptly when I got a long term tenant. He doesn't look anything like Mark other than the fact they both have African heritage. He is a lighter skin color than Mark and has a more rugged face. The cop only saw a black man in my house, and assumed that must be who he's looking for. When we started protesting this assumption, the fat cop threatened to throw us both on the ground. I continued to point out that the face on his arrest warrant looked nothing like Mark, and he yelled back, "IT DOES TO ME!". Mark's friend, John Doe had violated a restraining order to stay away from his boyfriend. Even though he had violated it at the request of the boyfriend so they could get together for some of that good makeup sex, the Sheriff's Police wanted to arrest him... or somebody who looked kind of like him.

Not once in the entire time these thugs were here did they speak in a civil tone to me or to Mark. The fat one, who looked to be pumped up on steroids and donuts, started to belittle Mark and threaten him with physical violence. After showing them our drivers licenses and proving who we were, they started to leave. There was no apology, just continued threats that they could still arrest us as they walked out the door.

The one thing I do regret is that I didn't call 911 and ask for the Wilton Manors Police to come over before I opened the door, because these guys really could have been home invaders. Since this morning we have called numerous agencies, including the internal affairs division. That was a joke, because it became apparent from the start, that they would back up their officers to the end, right or wrong.

If you want to know what happened to the bullies who picked on smaller kids, and kids with disabilities when you were in grade school. If you want to know where that guy who punched you in the head when you were in high school ended up, some of them became cops. And that's regrettable, because there are so many good cops. It is a sad time in this country when a man feels more threatened by the people who are paid to protect him, than by those who we are paying them to protect us from.

11 comments:

  1. Please post this spell checked post.

    First of all there are 3 rules when encountering government agents such as police, sheriff, or others in authority.

    #1. SHUT UP
    #2. BE QUIET
    #3. DON'T SAY A THING

    Remember the saying, "anything you SAY can and will be used against you in a court of law."

    TAKE IT SERIOUSLY.

    In a traffic stop encounter, you are only required to produce your drivers license, proof of insurance, and registration. NOTHING ELSE!

    If the cop starts asking you questions. You say, "Officer, I'm chosing to remain silent." This simple statement will put an end to any further incriminating evidence that the officer is, in my opinion, illegally trying to pry from you without legal representation.

    Do not argue with cops! REMAIN SILENT. I can't stress this enough.

    Alan: What you should have done was closed the shades and curtains, sat down and watched tv after you called the sheriffs office to confirm who these "cops" were.

    I believe that they needed a "break order warrant" from a judge to force their way in. If they didn't have a break order and they broke in anyway, you don't have to talk to them. You can sue them later.

    If they thought Mark was the person they were looking for and they want to arrest him, let them do it. I believe you would have had a false arrest lawsuit against them as well as breaking and entering illegally.

    Cops are not saints. There are countless websites documenting the actions of corrupt cops, lawyers, judges, government agents, and others in authority.

    I would get a free consultation from an attorney that specializes in suing cops. But remember, unless you get a lawyer who is on the peoples side, you are hiring a fox to sue the hen house. Alot of negotiating goes on behind the scenes.

    I've learned that even if you are right, a judge can do whatever they damn well please. And that is just plain wrong. I've lost faith in our government and judicial system.

    Bush is a prime example of a lieing government hipocracy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with anonymous, you didn't have to answer their questions. Once you did, you admitted you knew this "John Doe" and now they probably had "probable cause" to search the place. However, I believe they should have shown you the search warrant though. I'll bet it stated they were only allowed to search the apartment that "John Doe" was staying in and not your apartment. I believe what they did was wrong. They forced their way into the wrong apartment. Maybe you should put locks on your gates from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am absolutly amazed that I have not had more comments about this post besides Garet and Anonymous. This was a truly serious and scary moment for me and Mark. All I did was rent an apartment to someone and for that I was treated like I was the criminal. Today the supervisor of the thugs who terrorized us is supposed to visit us. All I want is for the fat ass cop and his two toadies to apologize.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read this post and I am sick to my stomach at the frightening episode. As a law- abiding citizen I know that we have to depend on the police sometimes (ask my friend about her contacts due to a bad-neighbor situation...) While I have had contact with some polite ones "doing their job. ma'am", I have also been brow-beaten and yelled at by ones taking a report just for asking a question. The most frightening aspect about "bullies in power" is that I know of a guy who just entered the secret service, protecting candidates, who is a wife-abusing, cheating, controlling BULLY beyond belief. I couldn't believe that they accepted him....but I think that that is the background they like. And here in Illinois we are still hearing about that vicious Burge and his henchmen who tortured prisoners as Chicago policemen. He now lives in Florida in retirement without ever being punished! What is it that crooks love about Florida???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Peggy, maybe it's because the shape reminds them of themselves. You know like a prick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can and can't believe what happened to you and Mark! It is so scary that you can't even trust, count on or depend on the people who are suppose to protect you. Innocent until proven guilty? Not in this country anymore. The cops look at everyone as guilty. The more corrupt things that I hear go on, the more I distrust our so-called legal system. I hope to God that I never have such a frightening experience like what happened to you and Mark. Good luck getting an kind of apology from those fat asses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have an attorney present when the supervisor come to visit.

    SERIOUSLY!

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Anonymous" sounds like he has a legal background. Lots of good advice in his comments that I will try to remember if I am ever caught in a nightmare like Alan and Mark's. And we can't think that it will never happen to any of us because they keep lowering "the bar" for people to serve and protect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alan, I just read this and my blood is boiling. I cannot abide people with authority complexes, whether they be government officials, teachers, and especially cops, because there is nothing you can do to defend yourself. Every cop I have ever encountered has felt like they could belittle me and they all think that they are the baddest shit around. I had a cop pull me over 8 months ago for going 10 mph over the speed limit because I was late to school and the way he treated me still makes me sick to my stomach. There is something seriously, seriously wrong with this country and we can't do anything but grit our teeth and bear it. And as for what the first poster wrote, I understand his point, but like you uncle Alan, I probably would have been ripping my hair out and screaming at the assholes who came into my home without a warrant and with no reason other than my boyfriend resembled the person they were looking for. I also believe trying to sue the officers would be a sad goddamn waste of your time. There is no such thing as "fair" anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  11. catching up on posts here.

    it's really terrifing, a violation of privacy. it's a horible position to be in when you have absolutely no control of a situation and you feel threatened. I'm sorry you guys had to deal with that. It really hits me in my gut. My Dad always talks about how something makes him feel, deep inside his gut. That's a horrible feeling. After reading what Trish wrote too, we're all the same. I would be telling those guys exactly what I thought about what they were doing. I'd pay for the concequences later. My Dad always said that was my problem. I need to think before reacting. He also says I'm a "Rock Head".

    ReplyDelete