Monday, February 18, 2008

It Won't Hurt a Bit

After my uncle's heart attack and my visits to the bathroom taking longer because of an ever thinning pee stream, I decided that it was time for a complete physical. My visit to the doctor didn't come without some prodding from him, and when I finally did go, it resulted in much prodding, and probing from him. First there were the preliminaries, blood pressure, pulse, knee reflexes, etc. It was when he got further into it that I became ill at ease. "Please pull down your pants, and lay on your side". I could hear the sound of rubber gloves and the gloop of lubricant coming out of a tube behind me, at which point my sphincter clenched up tighter than a gnats ass. "Please relax, you'll feel a little pressure." With a muffled scream from me, and an extra push from the doctor, my prostate was examined. The next thing on the agenda was the turn your head and cough routine. While most men like it when that part of their body is touched, for some reason it just isn't the same when it's a man in a white smock with rubber gloves doing it, unless of course you're real kinky.

Further on into the physical, came the EKG, which the doctor said was perfect, and then the nurse took my blood. After going through chemo-therapy, you'd think I would be used to needles, but no, I hate them. The nurse took at least a quart of blood while I looked all around, and everywhere, except at that syringe full of blood, for I am sure if I had looked, I would have swooned and passed out. I can look at other peoples blood just fine, it's only when it's my own do I get queasy.

It was a year ago that I got my first and last colonoscopy. When my doctor asked if I had ever had one, I replied "Yes, a year ago, and I still haven't fully recovered." For some reason my doctor found this funny. It was the first time I had ever seen him smile in the last seventeen years. "Ah ha!", I thought, so he really did enjoy that prostate exam.

11 comments:

  1. Remember, my family reads this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you're leaving us in suspense...

    What was your cholestrol level, your blood pressure, your BMI (body mass index), your weight, height. Did you have a urine test? Did the doc give you a colon cancer test kit to take home? Have you been constipated lately? What did the doctor suggest? Any meds, diet changes, excercise routines.

    Or maybe this is a two part blog to be continued....

    Is this bordering on TMI? OMG!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes it is a two part story. I have an appointment with the Doctor to discuss the blood work tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like Garet is going to take out some insurance on you if he likes the numbers you get.
    Either that or he's in nurses school and is studying for an exam or he's saving money and giving himself a physical (no comments...too easy).

    ReplyDelete
  5. great. don't scare my parents out of getting colonoscopies...I've been begging them to get one for years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura, you mean 'Super Nurse' is afraid of a colonoscopy?

    I don't blame her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If ya need one, ya need one. What ya gonna do? Hopefully you'll get one again if the doc says it's necessary. Don't be such a wuss. I had the procedure a couple years ago and had no troubles. Jeezz!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never thought I would get a colonoscopy but I did and it wasn't as bad everyone likes to make you think. I guess it's the doctor you go to (or the drugs they give you!)that makes it a good or bad experience. Everyone over the age of 50 should get one-afraid or not.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No, we are not "afraid" to get a colonoscopy....but there are no discounts for nurses! We have a $5,000 deductible insurance plan and have to decide to do it when we can afford it or we are close to making the deductible. It's all very well for the doctors to recommend them (and it should be done) but when they cost thousands of dollars....that's a different story. Universal health care anyone????

    ReplyDelete
  10. I may consider becoming a nurse. My sister is one. She would be a good mentor.

    Thanks Dennis, I'll look into it.

    I'm already ordering and dispensing meds, changing diapers, giving catheterizations, doing physical therapy, and dealing with sometimes bizarre behaviors in the group home I work in.

    I'm still not sure what I want to be when I grow up. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  11. Go for it Garet, they need more nurses as the decrepit ones are retiring. You have the right kind of nurturing personality that is lacking in many who become nurses because they can make a little more money than a Wal-Mart cashier. MaryBeth became one at 40 and she is a great nurse already!

    ReplyDelete