Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Ratatouille

Florida it is said, only has two seasons. Sweltering hot, humid summer, and something called winter that incorporates an occasional few, sweltering hot, humid, days interspersed with some pleasantly cool days. I say there are far more seasons than that here in Florida. You might call them sub-seasons, like hurricane season, and the rainy season. We also have a dry season, which is dry only if you compare it to the Amazon rain forest.

My next door neighbor and I were talking the other day and he mentioned that he had put up a bird feeder in the tree between his house and mine. Then he told me that the birds weren't the only ones using it. When he looked out the window, he saw two rats feasting at his expense. Yes folks, it's rat season again here in South Florida. Sure, rats are here all year around, but for some reason, late winter in Florida makes them more active. Walt Disney made rodents cute and lovable, from Mickey Mouse to Chip 'n Dale, but there is nothing cute about the sound of rat feet scampering around in your attic. I have found that it doesn't matter how good you seal up the attic, they still manage to find a way in.

In past years I have let the problem get out of control, but this time I am being pro-active by putting the rat poison out before I hear them. The thing that creeps me out is that the trays of rat poison I put up last year are all empty. That means that I have had rat activity up in the attic already. I've also put kitty Carlotta on short rations, and she now has that hunger for rat in her eyes. She really does enjoy a good rat hunt. Nothing like a cat chasing a rat all around the house to spice things up. After all we need something to do until mosquito season starts.

7 comments:

  1. WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU PUT RAT POISON IN YOUR ATTIC. IF THE RAT OR OTHER ANIMAL EATS IT AND DIES UP THEIR, YOUR GOING TO HAVE TO DEAL WITH THE SMELLY ROTING CARCASS. EWWWW !

    Better to use a live trap. Then take them out to the everglades as alligator snacks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And don't forget those giant flies that follow the rotting rats. They were always a joy to deal with. You just have way too much foliage for them to hide in and breed. I say cement everything...that will teach them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. eewww! EEWWWWWW! EEEEEWWWWWWW!!! How about putting Carlotta up in the attic? Make her a nice cozy bed and let her hunt her meals!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too am experiencing a rat in the attic. At least one that I can hear scratching or knowing at about 2 or 3 am each morning. We have identified the place that they get in but the landlord has yet to fix/fill it.

    for the meantime I am putting out poison too. I don't care if it dies in the rafters, I just want it to die.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't spread it around too much that you have a rat problem. Remeber, you are trying to sell your house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I quit trying to sell this house a year ago. I can wait out this slump. I won't sell it for less than it was worth three years ago. As for using a live trap, no way. That is the hardest way to get rid of the little bastards. I'll take a little smell, it lets me know the poison worked.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ewwwww! Dodn't let your new tenents smell it.

    ReplyDelete