Thursday, February 28, 2008

The Sacred Cow Bell

(Thanks Jeanette)
Forty percent of American families don't sit down to dinner together at least five nights a week. From my earliest years until I was about fifteen years old, my family always sat down for dinner together. What happened at fifteen is that the family became too large for us all to sit down at the same time, so I started eating in front of the television in the family room.

With eleven children, my parents had to find ways to keep tabs on us and to keep us from running amok. Our curfew was always "When the street lights come on, you come home". Obviously we liked that curfew in the summer, and cheated on it in the winter when the street lights came on at five P.M. It also explains why my older brother was always trying to knock the damn street lights out with a rock.

On any given day, my siblings and I would scatter to the four corners of our subdivision, and because of this my mom needed a way to gather us back in at dinner. Her solution was a cow bell, a large, loud, cow bell. This bell was so loud you could hear it a half a mile away, so there was no excuse to miss dinner. Every kid and parent in the neighborhood was aware of the 'cow bell'. When the bell would peel, our friends would just look at us and say "see'ya later" and like Pavlov's dogs we were off. Within seconds of the bell you would see kids of all ages closing in on our house on Ravinia Drive, like zombies from 'Night of the Living Dead".

The cow bell worked out well for my mother. On the other hand, for years after I moved out of my parents house, I couldn't pass a dairy farm without salivating and yearning for tuna casserole.

11 comments:

  1. In my house, it was the church bells from St. Nicholas that would ring at 6:00 PM every night. That and my dad turning the corning exactly at 6:00 PM from his after work cocktail at Hoffman's bar on 63rd Steet that let us know that it was dinner time. Even my friends that didn't have the same structure would know it was time to go home when they saw Mr. Morrison driving down 61st Place. We would go out after dinner, but the street lights were the definitive notice that it was time to go home. On occasion, my dad would come out on the front porch and whistle to let us know it was time to come home. Boy, our youth was soooooo much better than what the kids today have to live with. I wouldn't change my childhood for anything. No wonder my adult life has been so secure and normal (in it's own unique way).

    ReplyDelete
  2. My day did the whistle thing too. Typically my brother and I knew not to stray further than we could hear his whistle, which was pretty far.

    We didn't really have a set time for dinner, but we knew to be nearby so that when dad was ready to eat we were at the table. It didn't matter if the rest of the family was hungry we always waited for dad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would just get my name yelled out from the kitchen window. Ah that kitchen window has many memories.....

    I remember looking out that window and hearing something....

    "Hey, mom did you hear what that kid just said?" "He said, M#$#@!F#@!$* A*%^$#@."

    Boy, did I learn my lesson on swearing that day. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Dennis-chldhood was much better when we were little. Much more freedom and our parents didn't worry about every little thing. And we spent most of our time outside! Thanks for bringing back great memories Alan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The street light thing never happened. I was the good son. No one ever said to me see ya later, they just moo'ed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You, Russell, and Carl Jircha always tried to break that street light.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those were the days...of black & white tv, vinyl record players, 45 & 33 rpm records, transister radios, walkie talkies, and reel to reel tape recorders.

    Kids nowadays have computers, internet, cd & mp3 players, video games, xbox, nintendo, playstations, vhs & dvd players, cell phones.

    Yes, we played outside and were more active. and we wonder why there is an edpidemic of childhood obesity nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never tried to break a street light!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Dennis...my husband grew up at 69th and Pulaski...was that near you? He went to Bogan High School, graduated in 1965. I remember eating at "Ken and Pete's pizza" on dates.
    No Russell....the one he's referring to was a neighbor, Russell Bernhardt. His brother Arthur was Alan's friend.
    Alan...remember Dave went into the seminary. They never would have let him in if he was a "hoodlum"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Patti says...
    It worked us in the house on 68th court also.
    Although I remember at some age being mortified by the "cowbell"...

    ReplyDelete