Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Blind Faith

Mark is a news junkie. When he isn't watching Top Chef, Project Runway, Real Housewives of 'fill in the blank', or any of those other un-reality shows, he's watching the news. This morning he came breathlessly into my office, and started going on and on about Sammy Sosa having whitened his skin. In other words, he Michael Jacksoned himself. As usual I kept poking away on the computer until I stopped hearing Mark's high pitched rant, then I started to give my opinion. After about thirty seconds of telling Mark about Blacks, Whites, and my own age-spots, I realized that other than my voice, there wasn't another sound in the room. Mark had disappeared. Once again he had screwed with the blind man.

Because of my poor eyesight, and almost total loss of peripheral vision, I often miss things, like people entering or leaving a room. This time Mark had started a conversation and then quietly slipped out of the room. The worst is when we are out somewhere, and Mark disappears. More than once I have been going on, and on about personal things, only to turn and find some horrified old lady standing where I thought Mark was. It is a good thing that they came out with that Blue Tooth gadget for the cell phone, because now if I get caught in one of my one-sided conversations, I just put my hand up to my ear and say, "I'll call you back later mom, bye".

4 comments:

  1. Those BlueTooth headsets have also helped the homeless... Now when I see someone talking to themselves, rather than just thinking they are crazy, I like to assume they are talking on their BlueTooth...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sosa looks horrible!!

    I'll have to remember that Blue Tooth trick. Last year, I horrified a woman at the grocery store, thinking it was Karlene. I held up a can of something and without looking, said "can you believe this fucking shit?". K was a few feet away watching the whole thing. We nearly wet our pants laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I have done that before. It's embarrassing. The worst part is I had done this before the invention of Bluetooth...so I had no excuse.

    Oh...I'm sorry...I thought I was talk.....he was just here a second ago...anyway, what do you think?...which hair color should I get?...med brown or fabulous blond!

    ReplyDelete