Monday, November 23, 2009

Not Fast Asleep, Just Fast

It is around four thirty in the morning and I have given up. Mark is snoozing soundly, the dog is sleeping draped across the foot of the bed, while Fat Kitty sleeps without care just two inches from my face. Not me, I have been tossing and turning for two hours already and I have decided to just stop trying. I hate insomnia. It always starts the same. I go to bed feeling very sleepy, and fall into it quite easily, then something jars me awake. Tonight it was Mark coming home from another one of his festive nights, dancing, and drinking without me. Don't get me wrong, I love it that he goes out. It leaves me home alone, in a house that finally has fallen silent. Honestly, sometimes staying home all day with Mark is like living with a parrot on crack. He loves to talk, and after too many hours of it, the silence is like a soothing balm to my nerves.

The problem with laying in bed awake, in the middle of the night, is that your mind starts grinding away. Laying there tonight, I was thinking about crazy things I've done in the past that I have no way of ever changing. I found myself feeling bad about something that I used to do almost forty years ago. I used to scare the hell out of passengers when I drove a taxi in Chicago. Instead of falling asleep, I was feeling bad about the terror I had inflicted on total strangers. You see, I could have been a race car driver when I was young, but without any way of breaking into that profession, I became a cab driver. I had great vision, great timing, and excellent depth perception. Add to that the fact that I was not afraid to drive as fast as possible, made driving a cab, a natural. What was bothering me tonight is that I put people in danger. I used to have a trick where I could catch all the green lights on Michigan Avenue, from the Hilton all the way to the Drake, a distance of two miles. To do this I had to get up to sixty miles per hour, and weave in and out of traffic, all the while leaning on the horn to scatter unwary pedestrians who had wandered out into the street. Meanwhile, the hapless saps in the back seat were desperately holding on to whatever they could, and if they were screaming, I couldn't hear them over the incessant horn honking.

I never got a ticket for driving like that, nor was I in an accident, and my passengers would always pay quickly, usually throwing the money over the seat and shouting over their shoulder as they ran away, "keep, it kid!". I might have even seen one of them kissing the ground after he got out. I guess karma and conscience have a way of getting back at you when you've done wrong. In my case it is writing about feeling bad at five o'clock in the morning.

11 comments:

  1. So, I totally inherited that gene... I love zipping up Michigan avenue, dodging the tourists, and making it through all of the lights from Wacker up to Lake Shore Drive...
    I often feel like I should be a cabbie, then I remember your stories.

    And this is just a Google Street View photo, but I love to see the updated views of the photos you've taken of Chicago...

    http://www.zshare.net/image/68881497199d20bd/chicago_2.2009.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steven, So they still have the lights timed to all turn green at the same time. You have to admit, turning them all green only encourages you to try to get as many as possible. Back when I drove the taxi, if you caught the first bunch south of Wacker, you had to time it just right to get the bunch north of the river because they were on a different cycle.

    P.S. This is not a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Temazepam (generic for Restoril)15mg is what I use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Temazepam
    Side effects typical of hypnotic benzodiazepines are related to CNS depression, and include somnolence, dizziness, fatigue, ataxia, headache, lethargy, impairment of memory and learning, increased reaction time and impairment of motor functions (including coordination problems),[10] slurred speech, decreased physical performance, numbed emotions, reduced alertness, muscle weakness, blurred vision (in higher doses), and inattention. Euphoria was rarely reported with the use of temazepam. According to the FDA, temazepam had an incidence of euphoria of 1.5%, much more rarely reported than headaches and diarrhea.[9] Anterograde amnesia may also develop, as may respiratory depression in higher doses. Hyperhydrosis, hypotension, burning eyes, changes in libido, hallucinations, faintness, nystagmus, vomiting, pruritus, gastrointestinal disturbances, nightmares, palpitation and paradoxical reactions including restlessness, aggression, violence, overstimulation and agitation have been reported, but are rare (less than 0.5%).

    Sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. here's how you fix it.
    try and track down those passengers and make amends.All good and guilt free.All you gotta do is find one.
    TEMAZEPAM????!!!!the side affects will kill ya. Thats how people ended up voting for George Bush. That shit will turn you in to a zombie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It could be a new TV series called "My Name is Alan"

    ReplyDelete
  7. How about trying melatonin? Or a glass of warm milk? Never lay in bed willing yourself to sleep... get up and do something boring. And don't read Sarah Palin's book "Going Rouge"!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Right now I am reading a book written by a losing candidate for Prime Minister of Ireland. It's called 'Going Brogue'.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think some nice Chamomile tea nitely should help.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The President might not live up to all the hype, but he is still smarter, less embarrassing, and of a higher moral standing than the dunce that was inflicted upon the country over the last eight years. He hasn't started another war, nor neglected a storm battered city, and he didn't start the bailout of Wall Street. All that said, I am not that happy with the way he has run things up until now. Still better than Bush though, by a hundred miles.

    ReplyDelete