Monday, November 30, 2009

My Thanksgiving Guests

It must have been the aroma of Mark's Thanksgiving meal that attracted them. No, not the gaggle of guests that I didn't necessarily like. They were invited by Mark. No, it's the rats in the attic. Around five o‘clock Friday morning, I awoke to take one of my many nocturnal trips to the bathroom, and I could hear the unmistakable patter of little feet in the ceiling above me. The beasts were having a party up there, running back and forth, knocking bits of plaster loose that rattled just above my head.

It’s the start of the rodent season here in Florida, that time when the iguanas go dormant, and the rats look for a warm, inviting home to invade. The lovely smell of turkey and stuffing, combined with a nice cold snap has drawn the little bastards into my attic. So it's off to Home Depot later to stock up on rat poison.

Sixteen years ago, when I bought this property, I inherited a couple of yard cats, Attica and Carl. In addition, one of my neighbors allowed her cat, Tigger, to hang out over here. Combined with my two indoor cats, they kept the rat population down to just a few hundred. The last of those yard cats disappeared a few months ago, and I am afraid that we are going to have a rat population this year of biblical proportions. It will be okay, the poison will get them out of my attic for the time being. It usually works fast, and within a few days I won‘t hear them dancing around up there all night. At least It'll be easier to get rid of the rats than it was to get rid of Mark's guests Thanksgiving evening. Those bastards stayed here forever, sucking down wine, food, and my vodka. If I hadn’t eventually hidden the booze, and turned out the lights, they probably would still be here.

(Click on picture for disgusting details)

17 comments:

  1. Oh my god that rat picture made me sick! Just the thought of it - YIKES!! I can't stand mice so I don't know how you deal with rats. Glad to hear you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! Now it's on to Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yellow rat snakes. That would be fun when they found they're way down into the house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. they don't poop or procreate like a rat. Come on , just do it. Think of the material you could get from just one incident

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOw, that is bad about the rats. I think a snake would be a good idea too..but then again I think it is a good idea because I am not your lover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the snake is a great idea. After it eats all the rats you can have some great snake skin boots made.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would prefer a nice yellow snakeskin belt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. or snake and eggs for breakfast

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't suggest using rat poison. They will died in your attic and the stentch of rotting rat carcuses will permeate your home. Use live traps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. D-Con makes them thirsty and they leave the attic looking for water. Chances are I'll find them in my pool. I've tried every type of trap and the only way to get rid of them is poison.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So put a bowl of water in a live trap.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ...nevermind...they would have already eaten the D-Con. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gary, The eggs would actually be snake eggs. How about snake and shake.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just the story to get Gary very involved!! I have no comment... I'm just throwing up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Here, Let me hold the barf bag for ya. Peg.

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL - only a story of a disgusting rodent would draw so many comments. The worse problem I have is mice moving into the fan motor of my car every fall. I wish I could send my exterminator to you Alan. Bob the bug guy (Gary knows him too) can get rid of any invader! Probably even visitors that over stay their welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Go to your local animal shelter and stock up on the kittys you're missing!
    Also, Gary, you know as well as anyone that snakes can leave giant rat sized turds!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How do the Rats get in the attic in the first place? Can't you block the entrances.

    ReplyDelete