Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Sweet Potatoes and Other Brown Foods


Chandler and I have just returned from our morning walk, and he has jumped up on the bed to give Mark his customary wake up kisses. Mark seems to enjoy the love he gets from Chandler in this morning ritual, so I let it go on. What I don't have the heart to tell Mark, as the dog lays a big slobbery kiss on his face, is that Chandler has been sampling his favorite street food again, dog shit. It's something new for him. Lately Chandler will find a particularly sweet smelling spot in the grass where another dog has pooped, and start licking. He does it so fast that it takes me a few seconds to realize what he's doing, and by the time I can jerk him away from it, he has had his taste.

Here at our house, we are getting ready for a different taste. Thanksgiving! This is the holiday that Mark plans for all year. For weeks he has been scouring his cook books for recipes, and tearing out coupons for the grocery store in anticipation of this one meal. It looks to be another overproduced, overstuffed, and delicious holiday. I only have a couple of problems with it. First of all, Mark has invited people to dinner that I don't like. It seems that all my friends, and the friends of Mark that I can tolerate, have other plans, so I will have to put up with the guests we have, not the guests I want. Luckily Mark has stocked up on extra bottles of wine, and I have a full bottle of vodka in the bar, so at least I'll think I'm having fun. The other thing I would like to change, is the fact that Mark makes too much food. Too much in quantity, and too much in variety. Some things must be on the menu, like turkey, cranberries, mashed potatoes, stuffing, Mark's mac and cheese, and of course his famous greens. Unfortunately, Mark does not do it in moderation, and I end up eating that stuff for weeks. What I have told him that I don't really need to see, are the sweet potatoes. I really don't need to have that orangey, brown colored goop, with marshmallows on it, sitting on the table. The worst part about it is if I eat the sweet potatoes, Chandler will probably think I'm doing the same thing I yell at him for doing.

6 comments:

  1. Alan - your Thanksgiving feast with Mark and friends sounds delicious! Enjoy yourself but try not to overeat - easier said than done. Love the Chandler's wake up for Mark. Too funny. Happy Thanksgiving and I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually the dog's poop that Chandler likes was probably real meat just hours ago.

    The digestive system of carnivores is much shorter than herbivores such as humans.

    Unlike the putrefication that occurs when when humans eat meat, dogs expel it faster so it may retain much of the original flavor as it did going in.

    It is nice that Chandler wants to share his find with Mark. Mark should feel honored. Chandler is treating Mark like a member of the pack. He is telling Mark about his find in case Mark wants to follow him to the source and add some his Thanksgiving table.

    Oh, that reminds me of something....I'll not go there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Garet, Maybe you putrefy the things you eat. My body turns it into lovely, pleasant, little gift wrapped packages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...called farts. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...wait! I thought Humans were omnivores...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omnivorism is a learned trait we humans picked up during the ice age when plant source was scarce. We as humans never got back on track. Things are beginning to change. A meat diet has been linked to many diseases in humans. Watch the trailer of this new movie coming out called Food INc.
    This is my belief.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5
    eKYyD14d_0

    ReplyDelete