Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Does This Taste Funny To You?

It was about ten years ago that I thought I had been poisoned at a local diner. Not wanting to be sued for slander or some such thing, I will call it 'Pee Pee's Diner' (not the real name). At the time I was pretty sure that the meal I had eaten there, which I had mentioned to Mark "tastes funny", made me sick. After I recovered I made a pronouncement to Mark that Pee Pee's was now off limits. Mark was a little sorry to hear that since it was one of his favorite places for cheap eats, but I stood my ground and we didn't eat there for years.

A couple of years ago I let Mark talk me into trying Pee Pee's again. I was swayed somewhat by the glowing reports of others who swore it was the best place for breakfast, and that they never had a bad meal there. So for the last couple of years we have been eating breakfast there at least once a week. Two eggs over easy, home fried potatoes, and two pieces of toast, every time. Then there was this morning. I ordered the usual, and started in with the same gusto I do every time. After a couple of bites I said to Mark, "These potatoes don't taste fresh. They taste like they've been sitting around for a while." I then continued to shovel potatoes, eggs, and buttered toast, down my gullet.

Well, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice and you can't be fooled again, or something like that. As of this afternoon I have hugged the porcelain five times. The first four times I barfed up small amounts while Chandler stood next to me lamenting such a waste of food. Finally on the fifth visit I opened up like a fire hydrant on a summer afternoon, and emptied the contents of my stomach and maybe even a few feet of small intestine into the toilet. I feel much better after that last barf, but I have made the pronouncement again to Mark. We will never, ever, even if Oprah Winfrey, Martha Stewart, and Sarah Palin tell me it's the greatest food on earth, eat at Pee Pee's Diner again!

7 comments:

  1. Maybe you could go to Pee Pee's again if you just stopped eating after you notice the rancid flavor?

    How does Mark avoid getting sick?

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's just been lucky. He never orders the same thing I do, and I will tend to eat things that don't necessarily taste right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me." Never ever eat what Martha Steward recommends,she is an old lady and it all tastes like liquid eggs at room temperature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You need to contact your local health department and at least put them on notice that something at Pee Pee's is poisoning the public. You may not be the only one with a problem and they need to send out an official! I'll be waiting to see the picture of the "cease and desist" on their front door! P.S. at least you are now cleared out for Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't ever experienced any problems with Pee Pee's but agree with Peggy. Warn the public!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't ever experienced any problems with Pee Pee's but agree with Peggy. Warn the public!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also got sick once at PPs and did report them to the health dept.

    ReplyDelete