Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Bonnie Hunt x 7

Some people eat meatloaf, and call it comfort food. Others like to try and re-create life as they knew it fifty years ago to make themselves feel all warm and fuzzy. I like to watch the Bonnie Hunt Show. I had never considered why Bonnie Hunt made me feel good before. I just assumed that I was being entertained during one of the most starkly bad programming periods of the day, and just about anything would be amusing. It took Mark to point out exactly why I was drawn to her like a moth to a flame, "She sounds just like your sisters!" he squeaked. It's true, she is all my seven sisters rolled up into one woman. She is loud, and my sisters are loud, she's funny, and my sisters are funny, but most of all she sounds like my sisters. It is the unmistakable nasal tone of the Midwest, and the Chicago area in particular that I hear every day on the television. Creepy isn't it.

So every day I get reminded of Christmas and other holiday's past. Those raucous times, when my sisters all get together and start talking and laughing at the same time, kind of like the View on steroids, except without the obnoxious View hosts. I'm telling you, a family party wouldn't be the same without that shrill, twang of Midwestern female voices filling the house, at decibels well beyond the comfort level. And what of the brothers, husbands, and other various men-folk? Well, that's what basements, rec-rooms, and garages are for. Especially if there is a working TV with a football game on it. My only problem at these gatherings, is that I could never decide which room I'm supposed to be in.

10 comments:

  1. I can tell you, put a TV in the girls room and you'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bring Mark with you and all the bases are covered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww Alan you say the nicest things about us! I know the memories of those loud, crazy times will always live on, each time we all get together. Those are the times I laugh harder and smile the most! And I am looking forward to Christmas again this year! And I really like Bonnie Hunt too! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very true about Bonnie, she is total Chicago. I too am looking forward to Christmas with the family. First time in several years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my favorite memories is when you and Mark were visiting and we had him take a picture of all the siblings. Poor Mark started taking pix before the girls were "ready"! We all shrieked at once and he almost jumped though the window! The bewildered look on his face showed that he had no idea what had just happened...priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never knew why I liked her either, but I have for years. Ever since she was in that Randy Quaid tv series as (duh) his sister.

    Wow! Seven sisters. Impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What the heck is going on in that picture with Cloris Leachman?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are ya off to Chicago for Christmas this year, Alan? I look forward to walking Chandler again.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahahahahahaa! (in all sorts of raucous decibles)Thanksgiving last night there weren't as many of us but the few that were there made up for it! We miss your nasal tomes up here too Alan!

    ReplyDelete