Friday, July 26, 2013

Swollen

I went to the doctor yesterday morning. It was time for my yearly physical, and besides checking how fit I was, I had a few other issues I needed the doctor to address. You will all be glad to know, or at least I will, that my heart is in great shape, my lungs are strong and clear, and my circulation is good. What was truly bothering me though is the fact that I have been feeling very lethargic lately. I tire out quickly, and if I sit in my big fluffy chair for any amount of time, I fall asleep. The other thing is that I awaken up to five times a night to go take a leak. Now it just might be that the getting up to go to the bathroom so often is what is leading to my extreme lethargy during the daytime.

You would think that in this age of modern medicine and advanced science, that there would be a easy and non-invasive way to determine if the prostate gland was in good shape. But no, instead the doctor tells you to drop your drawers, lay on your side with your knees bent up, and to try not to scream too loud. I know what you're thinking, he's a gay man, the prostate exam shouldn't bother him. You would be wrong. I do not find a man in a white smock with a rubber glove the least bit erotic. I find it humiliating, painful, and despite what the doctor told me, I do scream.

Anyway, after the 'exam' the doctor gave me a prescription for Flomax. This is a drug that is often advertised on televised golf, Fox News, and other shows that old people watch. I hope it works, I hope I can stand at the urinal and pee proudly, blasting away like a twenty year old. I am optimistic that it will do the job, especially when I think of all the time I've wasted standing in front of a toilet. After all, as you get older, time is golden.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, Alan. I hope the meds work. Sleep is something I hold dearly.

    I'm three years away from my first colonoscopy and not looking forward to it, but will still probably live FB it just like Katie Couric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man... I hope the meds work, too. The older we get the more indignities we suffer. Have a nice weekend, Alan.

    ReplyDelete