Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Who are those people and why are they watching that man?

On Sunday I wanted to watch the evening news but it was all screwed up because of golf coverage. Three of the big networks had golf on them. I don't get it. Not only is it covered extensively on television, but they draw huge crowds on the golf course to watch some middle aged guy with a gut whack a tiny ball around. Golf is not a sport. My dad played golf into his seventies, and he was never an athlete. I played golf with my dad once and I wasn't even winded. Sure my ears hurt from him yelling at me for being such a klutz, but everything else felt fine. Golf is a pastime. It is a game for people who want to get away from something or someone else, and waste that time with a couple of other people who also want to escape. Now lawn darts, there is a game I would watch. That is a pastime that I could see drawing thousands of spectators. Especially if you put the concessions and the bleachers on the opposite sides of the target.

4 comments:

  1. I have friends that bought lawn darts at a garage sale. I think they're illegal in 45 of the 50 states. Stakes go up as the cocktails go down.
    p.s. I like Mickelson, but he should get a haircut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe liquor consumption should be written into the rules.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Golf is a good sport because you don't have to depend on anyone else to get a good score, you don't have to in shape to play, you can walk the course or ride if you have bad knees, and you can play as long as you can swing a club! I have played but I have very specific rules regarding heat and humidity...I just don't love the game THAT much!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly, but it is not a sport. It's a game, a pastime. Really, if you, Peggy, can do it, it isn't a sport. Same for bowling. I bowl, enough said.

    ReplyDelete